PA not Working...What Happened?

Kermit

I am posting this here 1.) because I am new. 2.) because I have no clue what could have possibly happened.

So my singer sings out of my pieced together PA system. It's a Mackie 1202 into an older Hafler P5000. Then from there into a Carvin 15" bass cab (4 ohm, at least 6 years old) and a Carvin 15" PA cab (http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/get.e...archStr=(I.ItemNumber='832')+AND+(CID2='SPK') , about 6 months old)

We played a gig where I ran sound, and since then the thing hasn't worked. I tested all the cables and wires, and everything looks fine. I pulled the speakers out and hooked them up to my stereo receiver, nothing happens.

Right now I'm thinking I need to replace the speakers, which is fine, but I'm wondering if I can have them fixed somehow (if possible). I'm also wondering what could have happened. They worked fine throughout the show.

Anyways $70 plus shipping is doable, but sucks, so if there are any suggestions...

Thanks.

I was giving advice cuz I thought your amp was messed up, but after I read your post again, after I posted my reply, I saw it was your speakers.
Sorry.

I honestly don't know what to tell you. Wish I could be of help. To bad it's not your amp. I could possible help there.
Good luck.

Im going to take some long shots here. First, its funny that everyone of your speakers should blow at the same time. This could have happened upon shutdown of the pa upon last use. If you dont shut down in the right order this could happen, but rare.
Next, when you tested them with the stereo, do you have a speaker a and b etc switch and if so are you sure you were hooked up correctly to the correct speaker terminals. If so and your speakers are not working then it is most probably your speakers. Put where the cone meets the bottom of the speaker to your ear and with your hand move it in and out as if it were playing. You should hear a rubbing sound if you fried the voice coils which is what it sounds like. You can usually have speakers recone for around 1/3 to 1/2 the price of new ones. There should be a place in the nearest big city?? They remove the cone and voice coil and replace them making them basically new if they use factory spec repair parts, eg., ev, jbl, etc. Like them abbrvs all in a row, looks good. Hope this has helped.

Well, they rub, like you said. So I guess that answers that question.

I live in a suburb of Denver, so if anyone has a recommendation on a good shop I'll se how much it will cost to fix. Thanks again.

BTW, what is the "correct order" of turning everything off? I usually mute everything then turn the volume on the amp to zero, then power the amp off. After that the mixer comes off, and anything else after that. Is that right?

Kermit,
Where in CO. I may be able to check in out in person for you if you are close! I also can recommend a few places near you.

BTW, what is the "correct order" of turning everything off? I usually mute everything then turn the volume on the amp to zero, then power the amp off. After that the mixer comes off, and anything else after that. Is that right?

Right.
Though you usually need to give the amp a few seconds to a minute to completely power down, then turn off the mixer. Otherwise, as mentioned, you'll get a pop from the speakers...which is a very bad sign at a live gig. :(

Not many of the working bands 'round here have (or can afford) to bring "spare" cabs to a gig. Spare heads? Yes. Mains? No. So be *very* careful when turning that mixer off...or you could always try to score a small combo PA. You can shut it down safely just by turning it off at any time. You can still use that Mackie for its pres and faders, too, by plugging it into an input on the combo. I've used a similar setup in quite a few high gigs (or was it low dives?). Just an idea for your consideration. If you treat that Hafler right it'll work for you fine.

Thanks for your help guys. I really appreciate it. If it was my bass amp I would have had it in a shop by now, but our singer is broke and I don't have any shows lined up anytime soon, so I figured I'd take the time to learn as much as possible. A blown coil I never thought about. I figured it was in the wiring.

I got the Hafler used from Sweetwater a few months ago. It's been great so far, with the exception of possibly frying my speakers. ;) I gave it at least a minute. All the other bands were using our gear which I had to tear down. My amp was turned off first, then I took down my bass rig and helped with the drums before I unplugged the speakers and went back to the booth. I'm still confused as to what could have happened, but if that amp acts weird at all, I'll be sure to note it.

Wally: My wife and I are renting a house in Broomfield and I work in Boulder. I don't mind making a drive. Send me an email or something with recommendations. Or post here... Acutually, theres a shop in Longmont that sells G&L guitars and basses. I'd be able to kill two birds with one stone.

It turns out only one of the speakers makes a rubbing sound. The other one sounds quiet, but I'm still thinking the coil is blown on it as well. Both went out at the same time. I think that says something.

Anyways, thanks again. :)

Back