PA Gear Suggestions ??

Ed Dixon

We are currently in the market to change our PA gear. Am interested in the thoughts of others towards this goal

We have two existing systems today. One, which we currently use, is a loaner system from a local music store. It contests of two high power Peavey amps, crossovers and rack mounted speakers controls. The speakers are very large and old, but actually sound quite good. Each weighs about 250 lb and includes horns and 2 18” speakers. The problem is that the system looks awful and is very heavy. The local store does not want to sell it (sentimental value may be a player here), so we need to find a solution we can own, modify, and use as we need.

The other system we have, which we used before includes multiple Peavey power amps (3 different 2000W units, and a 800W unit). We have two subs with single 18” speakers and 4 Peavey SP2 mains. When we used this system, we also had 2 other Peavey subs with 18” speakers, but those are now gone.

We are a 7 piece group with 6 vocal mics, 2 guitars, bass, sax, drums, keys, and congas. We generally fill up a 20 channel board. We have a number of monitor speakers and they work well. For each setup we have a 24 channel board, snakes, and all the other parts used for connections.

We play a combo of classic rock and R&B for local clubs, parties, etc. Most of the jobs we play are in smaller areas, but perhaps 20% are outdoor gigs where more horsepower and speakers are required.

The existing system we own works fairly well for smaller gigs with the 2 subs and a pair of SP2s. However for larger jobs and any outdoor jobs, it lacks the horsepower and kick needed.

We play to replace all the gear, but want to do this in increments for $ reasons. We seem most lacking in the subs areas, as the 2 existing are lack the thump and horsepower for larger jobs. Our thoughts are to replace these first, and then move outwards with perhaps different amps and mains.

We are looking for somewhat smaller and more modern gear. Our thoughts are to end up with 4 separate 18” subs. We would use 2 for smaller jobs and all 4 for larger jobs. Same plan for the SP2s until they get replaced.

JBL makes a number of sub models, which vary considerably in features and cost. A number of other firms also make gear, and some like Behringer are much lower in cost. Interested in the thoughts and experiences of others who have gone down this path and what they found out.

Ed

Ed Dixon said:
We are currently in the market to change our PA gear. Am interested in the thoughts of others towards this goal

We have two existing systems today. One, which we currently use, is a loaner system from a local music store. It contests of two high power Peavey amps, crossovers and rack mounted speakers controls. The speakers are very large and old, but actually sound quite good. Each weighs about 250 lb and includes horns and 2 18” speakers. The problem is that the system looks awful and is very heavy. The local store does not want to sell it (sentimental value may be a player here), so we need to find a solution we can own, modify, and use as we need.

The other system we have, which we used before includes multiple Peavey power amps (3 different 2000W units, and a 800W unit). We have two subs with single 18” speakers and 4 Peavey SP2 mains. When we used this system, we also had 2 other Peavey subs with 18” speakers, but those are now gone.

We are a 7 piece group with 6 vocal mics, 2 guitars, bass, sax, drums, keys, and congas. We generally fill up a 20 channel board. We have a number of monitor speakers and they work well. For each setup we have a 24 channel board, snakes, and all the other parts used for connections.

We play a combo of classic rock and R&B for local clubs, parties, etc. Most of the jobs we play are in smaller areas, but perhaps 20% are outdoor gigs where more horsepower and speakers are required.

The existing system we own works fairly well for smaller gigs with the 2 subs and a pair of SP2s. However for larger jobs and any outdoor jobs, it lacks the horsepower and kick needed.

We play to replace all the gear, but want to do this in increments for $ reasons. We seem most lacking in the subs areas, as the 2 existing are lack the thump and horsepower for larger jobs. Our thoughts are to replace these first, and then move outwards with perhaps different amps and mains.

We are looking for somewhat smaller and more modern gear. Our thoughts are to end up with 4 separate 18” subs. We would use 2 for smaller jobs and all 4 for larger jobs. Same plan for the SP2s until they get replaced.

JBL makes a number of sub models, which vary considerably in features and cost. A number of other firms also make gear, and some like Behringer are much lower in cost. Interested in the thoughts and experiences of others who have gone down this path and what they found out.

Ed
http://peavey.com/products/shop_onl...tem/00571280/wc/2A2D32/fam/2DC/tcode/2/qw.cfm

http://peavey.com/products/shop_onl...tem/00571290/wc/2A2D33/fam/2DC/tcode/3/qw.cfm

Since you're already familiar with Peavey products, check these out.

C

Our previous less than good experience with Peavey subs would probably elminiate Peavey as a source for subs.

Ed

Ed Dixon said:
Our previous less than good experience with Peavey subs would probably elminiate Peavey as a source for subs.

Ed

These are not your everyday run of the mill peavey subs.
Worth looking into.
Rent a pair or go listen and I think you'll hear a vast improvement over the ones you've been using.
As well as the mains in this series.

I've installed a few pair and these things and man they stomp.

C

The Yorkville stuff is really great, sounds great, built tough, and all their speaker cabs have lifetime warranties. They used to be unlimited warranties, not sure if that still applies or not but you can easily find out. When I use a sound company, I usually get Yorkville gear for small to medium setups. For bigger setups the choice for me becomes EAW, Turbosound, and Meyer. I think the Yorkville stuff holds its own in the medium range category with those.

H2H

Hard2Hear said:
The Yorkville stuff is really great, sounds great, built tough, and all their speaker cabs have lifetime warranties. They used to be unlimited warranties, not sure if that still applies or not but you can easily find out. When I use a sound company, I usually get Yorkville gear for small to medium setups. For bigger setups the choice for me becomes EAW, Turbosound, and Meyer. I think the Yorkville stuff holds its own in the medium range category with those.

H2H

Good call H2H
Dido on the Yorkville gear. I keep forgetting about those guys.
I ran a full elite FOH system about ten years ago and they blew me away. They stood up too everything I threw at em. Heavy metal rip the way paper ear bleeding volume.
I'm sure the new stuff is even better.

C

Back