P4 system builders, gotta question.....

Polaris20

Alright, so I've built a boatload of AMD-er's, and a couple PIII's a couple years ago.

But I've never built a P4 system, and now a friend is wanting me to build him one.

The question is:

Upon installing the CPU, do I need additional thermal paste or pads, or do I simply slip the chip in, and install the heatsink/fan ontop, relying upon the thermal pad on the bottom of the heatsink for protection?

I looked at the installation guidelines on the Intel site, but I wanted to get actual user opinions before I do it.

I've always put a little dot of Coolermaster paste on the die of AMD's, which seemed to aid in burn-in's and overall function. I haven't had a system fail yet doing that.

But I know P4's are a different animal.

Thanks in advance!

I agree with Polaris, no paste needed. I had my P4 2.4 running for close to a year with no problems, but I never overclocked it.

Polaris20 said:

Upon installing the CPU, do I need additional thermal paste or pads, or do I simply slip the chip in, and install the heatsink/fan ontop, relying upon the thermal pad on the bottom of the heatsink for protection?

No pad needed, I`m using a Asus P4PE BP with a 2.53 GHz P4 processor, works great without any pad.... or paste....

Re: Re: P4 system builders, gotta question.....

plexi said:
No pad needed, I`m using a Asus P4PE BP with a 2.53 GHz P4 processor, works great without any pad.... or paste....

Not recommended. While this may work for awhile, you're risking a shortened processor (and motherboard - heat has to go somewhere.) lifespan and system instability.

You definitely want to use either a pad or some paste. The "retail" P4 package from Intel comes with a fan (and a longer warranty), and it comes with a syringe with paste in it.

The pad/paste fills in any gaps between the chip and the heat sink/fan unit causing better transfer of heat away from the chip.

-lee-

It will be a "retail box" chip, and it will definitely not be overclocked. I don't like messing with that stuff.

Re: Re: P4 system builders, gotta question.....

Emeric said:
The thermal pad is all you need.

I just built one (my first ever build) and made the mistake of thinking that the thermal pad had tape on it that needed to be remove. WRONG!!! :D. I ended up boogering up the pad and ended up tearing it off and putting Antec Silver thermal paste on there. Seems like good stuff. Anyway...now I have invalidated my warranty :eek:

Re: Re: Re: P4 system builders, gotta question.....

Jagular said:
I just built one (my first ever build) and made the mistake of thinking that the thermal pad had tape on it that needed to be remove. WRONG!!! :D.

heh-heh.

Yeah some of them 'look' like something that should peel off. Artic Silver is good stuff for sure.

Back