P.O.T.T - (mix critque request)

BCF1

Tried to incorporate into this recording and mix some of the tips and ideas folks here offered up on my previous post, Crazy Molly's Pop Song
I feel I was able to get better guitar tones from the sims used this time and that those tracks blended with the close mic'd tracks better also.

Thanks VomitHatSteve, andrushkiwt, TripleM and all others for the help !!

Looking for critique of this mix and any other thoughts that would improve the track.

Crazy Molly's Pop Song Thread

https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/mp3-mixing-clinic/crazy-mollys-pop-song-opus-no-s-1-2-a-393610/

Not a fan of the style, but the performances are solid.

Mixwise, I think the guitars sound good. My only concerns would be taming the cymbals a bit and dropping the lead vocal back into the same space as the band.

Right now, they sound too dry and loud by comparison. Not by a lot, but noticeably so.

Last edited:
Sounds pretty good. I agree the cymbals seemed a little hot, mostly the hat and the ride. I would suggest turning them down a little, and maybe try a hint of reverb on them, they do sound a little dry. I might even experiment with EQing a little high end off, around 8-12k, not much, just a hair and see if they sit better.

I think this style calls for a slightly "clickier" kick, but it still sounds decent as is. Guitar and bass levels sound fine to me.

On headphones, I'm hearing too much sizzle from something...hats? top end of guitars? Both?

Great performances. Some of those cymbal attacks are pretty harsh. I can't hear much definition in the toms either...though at the very end, there's a nice low end ring to them. But that just shows it's buried throughout the rest of the mix; it's underneath all the other low end stuff.

good energy, like the tune

+1 for taking the cymbals down a bit.

I feel like the low-end might be a little lacking. Maybe bring up the bass (especially in the lower frequencies) up a bit?

It's pretty good though. These are mostly just "circling it" kind of nit-picks

Back