Oxygen midi

mentil69

Since I got my studio I have been working only with live instuments, but now I think it's time to start with midi, so maybe I can have some more recording options. If I get something like that 100 dollar oxygen keyboard to go into my 2816, what can it do. I really dont know jack about midi, but i was wondering how good would the keyboard sound be coming out of it? Thanks in advance.

mentil69 said:
Since I got my studio I have been working only with live instuments, but now I think it's time to start with midi, so maybe I can have some more recording options. If I get something like that 100 dollar oxygen keyboard to go into my 2816, what can it do. I really dont know jack about midi, but i was wondering how good would the keyboard sound be coming out of it? Thanks in advance.

The Oxygen is a MIDI controller - it produces no sound of its own. You would have to plug it into some kind of synth module or your computer running a software synthesizer and trigger their sounds thru MIDI.

Why the Oxygen? I cannot understand how anyone finds only 2 octaves usefull...

so if i have sonar can i make the midi device sound like a keyboard, again im ignorant when it comes to midi. and to answer your question, i only want this midi device to learn midi and mess around, and the oxygen is the cheapest.

There are cheaper MIDI controllers than the Oxy 8.

Evolution and K-sound make a couple that are around $70 or so.

Carl

Re: Re: Oxygen midi

brzilian said:

In the future, I plan to use an Oxygen8 toward replicating the sound of a Clavioline, as heard on "Telstar," by The Tornadoes. There are other 2 octave keyboards that I'd like to replicate, as well, so (for me) keeping the same range would be in the spirit of the originals.

I don't believe I've ever heard a Clavioline, but unless it sounds like keystrokes, you're not going to get that out of the Oxy8 or any other controller.

MIDI controllers have no inherent sounds of their own. They are just what they are called "controllers". You need to have the sound eminate from something else (a synth, a synth module, a softsynth et al).

Since the sound is completely independant from the controller, and the Oxy8 is just a controller, why do you need this overhyped peice of plastic?

Get one of the controllers that I mentioned instead. The Evolution MK-125 is a two octave controller that goes for aroudn $70 new.:D

Carl

Krakit said:
I don't believe I've ever heard a Clavioline, but unless it sounds like keystrokes, you're not going to get that out of the Oxy8 or any other controller.

MIDI controllers have no inherent sounds of their own. They are just what they are called "controllers". You need to have the sound eminate from something else (a synth, a synth module, a softsynth et al).

Since the sound is completely independant from the controller, and the Oxy8 is just a controller, why do you need this overhyped peice of plastic?

Get one of the controllers that I mentioned instead. The Evolution MK-125 is a two octave controller that goes for aroudn $70 new.:D

Carl

Amen!:D

I wouldn't recommend the Oxygen 8 unless you want to use it with a laptop while you're travelling. The thing is that the keyboard is just NOT good at all and I find it difficult to "play" on it. Also, it simply doesn't have enough keys. If you are looking for a keyboard as MIDI controller, you can use ANY synth or keyboard as long as it has a MIDI output. I use my Oberheim OB-12 as MIDI controller -- which has an awesome keyboard -- to play all the VST instruments in Logic. That works out pretty well.

Re: Re: Oxygen midi

brzilian said:
The Oxygen is a MIDI controller - it produces no sound of its own. You would have to plug it into some kind of synth module or your computer running a software synthesizer and trigger their sounds thru MIDI.

me neither... i think it's because of their advertising???

Evolution and Midi Tech fo' shure...

Back