Owens Corning 703 Panels

searchengine

This is for a 11'x10' bedroom studio wih 8' ceilings. I am going to purchase some 2" 2'x4' 703 fiberglas panels today (94 cents sq/ft). My question is does it make sense to mount it with like a 1"x6" frame. I have read bringing it out from the wall would increase bass absorption. I also plan on making some asc type bass trap tubes. The frame would bring the 703 out from the wall 6 inches but would also create an airspace (not airtight) between the wall and the 703. I am just worried about that airspace and it's affect on absorption. Or should I just mount them frameless with some anchors that would bring them an inch or two from the wall? Also, they have 4'x8' panels. Are they overkill or using the mirror trick just mount the 2'x4' in the appropriate reflection areas. Thanks in Advance.

You are correct - the further off the wall the lower the frequency .. no 4' x 8' is not overkill, if you can afford it go for it.
Cheers
John

Price of Owens Corning 703

Where are you buying your owens corning 703 fiberglass boards? I haven't seen them that cheap anywhere and I'm about to do a large project. Thanks!
Brian

Where are you buying your owens corning 703 fiberglass boards? I haven't seen them that cheap anywhere and I'm about to do a large project. Thanks!
Brian
Nice use of the search function to find this... :D

Don't limit yourself only to OC703. There are many other products, from many other manufacturers, which are just as effective and a lot cheaper. Ask people locally to you what they got, and where they got it.

Otherwise, sensible sound solutions have some good products, including OC703.

I'd suggest the 3.5" Bulk Pack Cotton Bass Absorber, which could do 16x 4'(3'11" close enough)x2'x3.5" panels. Or 4 double thickness(7") bass traps and 8 normal(3.5") panels. That works out at under $11.75 per panel($1.47 sq/ft but almost double thickness), including shipping.

If your project is REALLY large, then buy two or even three packs.

They actually have OC703 4'x2'x2" at $11.50 per panel, or 4" at $16, although i don't think this includes shipping. I'd say the cotton is the better product anyway.

Back