Owens Corning 703 Covering - Anyone Try This?

BBad199

http://www.easygardener.com/EGPCatalog/html/weedblock.htm

Its called weedblock, and those of you who garden know it is a pourous plastic mesh (polyethylene) that is breathable and lightweight. It's cost effective too. I found a 50ft roll by 4ft wide for only $17.95 at home depot. That's probably 1/4 the cost of burlap, but the question is will it work?

1) Will it keep shreded fiberglass insulation in.
2) Will it be pourous enough to not reflect sound?

Thanks

I just went to wal-mart and found 18 yards of thin black cloth....make sure you go to the $1.00 table....

This may sound stupid, but I'm not worried about toxic fumes...= ) I'm only covering the 703 to keep the particles in. I picked up 12 sheets of 703 for the purpose of minimizing reflections in mobile recording environments. As long as nothing catches on fire in the few hours I record, I think everyone will be ok!

Anyone else?

Most things burn at one temperature or another... if something is gonna catch on fire, I'm not going to be thinking toxic fumes are the problem...The fiberglass won't burn.

Has anyone tried this method or am I gonna have to be the first?

Some people use it as an inner layer under burlap or muslin. I've never seen anyone try it as the only covering.

Bryan

There are two types of this material that I have seen on the market. One is a felt-like and the other is a sheet of plastic with a pattern of holes punched in it. The felt-like stuff might be OK, but the sheet plastic is probably not a good choice. Sure the holes will allow sound through, but the part of the sound that hits the hard plastic will reflective.

I spent a good while at home depot looking for materials. I also found a polyester ground covering that was mouch more fabric like, but I opted not to pick it up for 23 bucks.

Instead, I took the walmart commendation. Went to the dollar a yard fabric rolls and picked up about 33 feet x 60" taupe color fabric - Great quality stuff and staples well. Cost me $12 and it much easier to work with than burlap. I'll have to post some pictures. Took about 2.5 hours to cover 6 sheets, but I'm a perfectionist.

Back