Overwhelming number of Cakewalk users here at homerecording...

I've used just about everything, but when I need something done on a deadline, I stick with the true and tested.

I started on a cassette based Fostex back in 92. I finally made the jump to a G4 Mac and pro tools in 2000. Stayed with that DIGI001 until 2007. Never even looked at anything else. Then I wanted some new plug ins and what not and realized just how out of date I was.

So I bought a new PC and researched a bit and decided Sonar 7 Producer offered the most bang for my buck and took the plunge. I have since tried a couple of others out. Cubase LE stuff that came with some gear I bought. Ableton Lite that came with something, and Behringer's XT for about 5 minutes. I loaded the Tracktion software that came with my Mackie ONYX but hated it.

In the end I've upgraded from Sonar 7 to 8 to 8.5 to X1 to X2. All in all I'm very happy with it. I sometimes wish Cakewalk would slow down on their release schedule. I don't think a new version every year in really necessary. Every two years would be better. But I pretty much think that about all tech stuff. Let me have a chance to get my money's worth out of something before you release the next greatest thing.

I realize that I am free not to upgrade at their schedule but I have major desire not to get outdated again. I used that Mac and 001 for so long not knowing how much was out there. Like EzDrummer. When I finally figured out their was cool new toys that didn't exist when I started doing this on tape made me want to keep up and stay current.

Now I just spend money like crazy. Just dropped a summers worth of saving on a new Allen and Heath Zed R16 firewire mixer, love this thing. Feels more like home mixing analog again. My mixes sound better then they ever have with this thing, no matter what I've ever used.

At the end of the day though, I gotta show my love for Sonar. When I first moved over from Pro Tools, it was a bit of a learning curve as Pro Tools LE 6 functioned mostly like a tape deck with editing and automation. But once I got it it's been great and the Cakewalk support was excellent when I needed help. Their forums are awesome as well. Found a lot of help there setting up and finding my way around Sonar.

Sonar is my home now. It's where I live. I know the neighborhood and I know all the shortcuts. Well not all of them, Cakewalk is always putting new stuff in there and, I am always learning something new about what Sonar can do.

Let me have a chance to get my money's worth out of something before you release the next greatest thing.

My sentiments exactly. If you were a truck driver 20 years ago, you would be 20 years better now. But when the next iteration of an application comes out before you are fully comfortable with the current one, its very annoying. And I agree with your comment on updating to stay with the latest. Sometimes tho, I think that what they have is perfect and I don't want or need an upgrade.

I sometimes wish Cakewalk would slow down on their release schedule. I don't think a new version every year in really necessary. Every two years would be better

But it's been nearly 2 years since X1 was first released.

Started with Home Studio, then got 7Producer and have been on that since it's release....have not had any reasons to upgrade, it still does everything I want it to, and more....

Sonar X1 user here. I have Protools 10 and I much prefer working on X1. makes protools look like it's from stone age (no offense protools lovers). I still have to use protools do deliver projects tho just because everybody wants protools sessions!

Back