Overwhelmed

jgwilk

I am fairly new to this computer recording 'hobby' and am totally confused and overwhelmed by all the 'marketing' specs for the computer sysytems. I want to set up a home studio as a hobby and to learn the nuts and bolts of recording. I am custom building my computer using advice from other areas of the BBS, but when it comes to the recording hardware to use..WOW...I would like to be able to do a full six mic drum recording..What systems are out there to handle this...I have been looking at the Aardvark Q10, but have read some negative things about it in various places...What does evryone recommend..Also, I am very familiar with Adobe Audition (Old Cool Edit dude)...Is this a good program for a studio or should I look at something else...I do not have unlimited funds for this project, but I also want to make sure I have good equipment from the start...Thanks

jgwilk said:
I am fairly new to this computer recording 'hobby' and am totally confused and overwhelmed by all the 'marketing' specs for the computer sysytems. I want to set up a home studio as a hobby and to learn the nuts and bolts of recording. I am custom building my computer using advice from other areas of the BBS, but when it comes to the recording hardware to use..WOW...I would like to be able to do a full six mic drum recording..What systems are out there to handle this...I have been looking at the Aardvark Q10, but have read some negative things about it in various places...What does evryone recommend..Also, I am very familiar with Adobe Audition (Old Cool Edit dude)...Is this a good program for a studio or should I look at something else...I do not have unlimited funds for this project, but I also want to make sure I have good equipment from the start...Thanks

What is your budget? For a "hobby" home studio, M-Audio makes a number of soundcards with multiple inputs. The Delta 1010 may suit your needs and is very popular among the home recording crowd. You will probably want a small outboard mixer for drum miking. Yamaha and others make small mixers with enough preamps for all your mics.

I don't know about Audition. Steinberg and Cakewalk products are good home tools. Many software manufacturers have demo versions that you can download and try out before you buy.

If you're familiar with Cool Edit, I'd definately go with Audition. I've tried most of the programs out there, and Audition stuck on me. Much easier imo. It doesn't have a sequencer, however, if you plan on doing MIDI, etc. Will do ReWire though.

Back