Overloaded Preamp?

tvanveen

Lately when recording bass I just run a cable from the preamp out on my bassist's amp straight into my daw and it sounds pretty decent. The only problem is the level is a bit low, and I end up boosting it with the gain pot on my VF160, which I suspect isn't very good.

If the signal is low enough to warrant using the input gain pot, is it low enough to run it into another preamp? Basically I'm thinking of running into a VTB-1 and want to be sure I don't blow it up.

Thanks,

Tom

You should be fine either way. You will hear really bad distortion WAY before anything really gets damaged.
BTW use the line input on any preamp for this sort of thing.

tvanveen said:
Lately when recording bass I just run a cable from the preamp out on my bassist's amp straight into my daw and it sounds pretty decent. The only problem is the level is a bit low, and I end up boosting it with the gain pot on my VF160, which I suspect isn't very good.

If the signal is low enough to warrant using the input gain pot, is it low enough to run it into another preamp? Basically I'm thinking of running into a VTB-1 and want to be sure I don't blow it up.

Thanks,

Tom
Is the bass amp just a head or a combo? If it's just a head, is it a tubed head or solid state? If it's tubed, do you have properly rated cabinets connected?

It's a solid state head. The cab impedance matches it, and there's no problem wrt power.

Thanks for the advice guys.

tv

Back