Overheads - Kel HM-1 - Upgrade?

errr314

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!

I have a pair of Kel HM-1's for my overheads (drums) and they sound good compared to other mics I have owned over the years but I am feeling the need to improve my drum sound. It's not that its bad right now but I feel it could be better. For example; sometimes I feel like the HM-1's do not have enough detail on the snare or ride cymbal. Or maybe the toms don't seem punchy. It's hard to describe but I am wondering if an "overhead upgrade" would help. I do have an AT4040 for vocals and I was thinking about getting 1 more to move them both to overheads but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for an upgrade.

By the way I am using the Recorderman technique which is great:

Kel HM-1's (overheads)
Audix i5 (snare)
EV ND868 (kick)

All going to a Mackie 400F.

If I do upgrade I was wanting to spend 600.00 to 700.00 for a pair. Unless at that price point it won't make a difference compared to what I have?

Thanks

The 4040 is a great overhead mic. give it a try, You may find you just need to pickup one more of those.

Hey E,
I have the Kels too.
I often move them from the over head position to a space configuration in front or back of the kit and it helps bring more body to the sound.
I put equidistant from the snare, 1 in front of the rack toms, the other by floor tom.
Sometimes dependent on the drum spread the floor tom mic has to be from behind to be the same distance from the snare, and often the polarity of the mic flipped to match the front mic.

Other than that the second 4040 sounds good. I have a pair of Oktavas MK012s for my "brighter" set.

Back