Overhead/Stereo Miking Question

halo206

Rode NTK
Shure SM81
AKG C3000
Audio Technica AT3035

These are all the condenser mics I own. Would it be possible to capture a good sounding overhead with a combination of any of these mics?

Would it be better to buy a stereo pair of Oktava 012's or buy another SM81 to match the one i already own?

Thanks,

Mike

a pair of 603s is an option there also. i dont think i've heard the sm81s as overheads so I'd pick a pair of oktavas or mxl 603s

A pair of sm81s would probably be a great way to go. They have been used to great success as overheads on many recordings. I wish I could afford a pair. They'll probably be my next SDCs when I upgrade from my 603s.

Trial and error with your current mics couldn't hurt either. Throw the 81 up with the 3035 or NTK and see what you like. If stereo drums aren't critical to your recordings, using a single overhead is also an option.

A lot depends on your cymbals, kit, and room. Bright cymbals may warrant a darker mic and vice versa.

halo206 said:
Rode NTK
Shure SM81
AKG C3000
Audio Technica AT3035

These are all the condenser mics I own. Would it be possible to capture a good sounding overhead with a combination of any of these mics?

Would it be better to buy a stereo pair of Oktava 012's or buy another SM81 to match the one i already own?

Thanks,

Mike
Try all of the combinations with those mics.

Also, adding a second Shure SM81 gets my vote.

Hello, :)

first time posting, so I'm not sure if I'll butcher this...

I have a question/comment:

I hear little about the sm81, but what I do hear is usually positive and entirely in relation to string definition on acoustic guitars. The lack of talk online and elsewhere leads me to believe it's either a given that it's a great mic OR, simply, not used much by anyone. The other thing that came to mind was that the sm81 is a cardioid pattern mic (maybe I'm wrong) and would be great for cymbal miking, but not great for those of us looking to get a full sound from a minimal setup of two over-heads. And also not ideal in that capacity because of the bass response of a small diaphragm mic and a "higher" detailed sound.

I'm not sure about the specific use intended in the drum recording style of the original poster of this thread, but maybe the other people reading this, and me, can get some valuable info out of this thread on the subject.

At the moment I'm trying desperately to get an idea of studio standards for over-head drum miking. There are wide ranging opinions, but I will say avoid the Shure KSM-27 at all costs. Ugh. Repulsive. I somehow got this image into my head of two incredible Neumanns used on everything from drums to acoustic guitar and vocals. Too many 60's Mickey Most produced album photos? Sorry for the long post! Thanks.

When I was doing live sound in the '80s and '90s, SM81s were the OH choice of every top sound man that I've worked with. They sound great and are tough. The nice thing about '81s are that they are almost never "boomy" or "harsh", they are NICE flat mics. I just got a pair and have only tried XY OH on drums (while recording) and liked the sound but I want to try the modified spacing procedure before we do a lot of recording. I have a feeling that modified spacing is going to be specactular@! :D

The 81s XYed on my beat up $100 Yamaha classical guitar was absolutly DREAMY :cool:

Don't be fooled, SM81s have nice low end.

Given the option of either buying a stereo pair of Oktava 012's or to buy another SM81 to match the one you already own? Get the '81.

Good luck.

i use my ntk when recording drums. i place it next to and about 6'' over the floor tom and pointed at the snare. by itself, it picks up everything pretty good, including the bass drum. dont know about the other mics, but ive got a 4 mic set up w/ no stereo overhead and im pretty happy w/ the ntk in the mix.

Back