Overhead Mic Question

mikemoritz

Yea, I'm bored at 4 in the AM, and I got to thinkin. Right now I have an AKG C1000 for an overhead for de drums. Soon, I'll be recording again, and I am lookin for stereo overheads. What honestly would be a better decision? Get another C1000 for overheads, or pick up 2 of the ECM8000s for overheads and use the c1000 as a room mike? I'm thinkin the latter of the two, but for the money is the ECM8000 really better than a C1000?

Thanks,
Mike

i never used the c1000 as overheads so i dont know from experience, but most people whove used both say the ECM's are just as good or better as overheads......

so id go with the pair of ECM's......

Well, I've never used the ECM8000's for anything but I have used a pair of C-1000's as overheads. I don't feel the have enough "sheen" as an overhead mic and as a result the cymbals don't splash like I would like them to. I do, however use them as tom mics all the time and I love them there.

I use the 8000's for overheads

But I'm new to this so I have nothing to compare them to. They are VERY omnidirectional and pick up the whole set. This may be a problem with imaging. I guess this is a preference, though. I am impressed with the high end reponse which is I suppose a priority for overheads. Well worth the going price of $35 apiece. If I ever upgrade to a more cardiod pair, I will probably use one of the 8000's for a room mic.

Good call.....is the omnidirectional tendency of this mic gonna be a big problem with phasing? Or can it be worked around?

Mike

Well, since I chimed in with the recommendation, I'll tell how I've used them. Last weekend's session I used Fletcher's 3-mic technique on the drums. If you're unfamiliar, here's a link:
http://www.mercenary.com/3micdrumstuf.html
Hope I didn't violate netiquette posting the link. Anyhoo, the ECM8000's serveds as the single overhead, in this case roughly 3 feet over the drummer's left shoulder, and the sort of side rear mic, which peeks over the floor tom aimed at the snare only a couple feet back and almost behind the drummer. That clear as mud. Used a LD condenser for the Front Of Kick mic. Man, does it work! No phasing on the cymbals. No EQ or reverb required. Pretty much mixes itself. I've learned something valuable from this: Take the time to get it right while tracking, and save yourself exponential proportions of time spent trying to "fix it in the mix". YMMV.
-kent

I probably should have qualified with the preface that I had a good drummer, decent acoustic environment and a well tuned and maintained kit. All that aside, using fewer mics is about treating the kit as an instrument, instead of several. You provide a more natural picture of the whole instrument as it sounds in it's space, just as an acoustic guitar interacts with the atmosphere to create a sound you won't get from a pickup. Less phasiness. I'm never going back. YMMV.

I know nothing about the 1000...

....but MAN!
You can't go wrong with the ecm's, DAWG!:D

Seriously, they sound nice and the money makes them a must in my book. I believe that even if you upgraded later, you would always find a use for the ecm's and your pocketbook will love you.

As far as phasing, look up that thread where Harvey D'Man Gerst posted pics of them in use...that's what I've done and have had no problems.

yep,

heylow
Rock Jedi/Indie Snob
www.heylowsoundsystem.net

Something else you can do with a pair of omni's fro a little more seperation while trying to avoid phase issues is to use them with a Jeklin dics. That's basicly a type of mount where there is a disc baffle between the twl omni mics. I've made one out of a couple of old mouse pads before. See the attachment.

Attachments

• jdisk.jpg
    jdisk.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 62
Back