Overhead EQ problem

Metal Marc

Pretend Action Guy (PAG)
I have a problem with EQ and my drum overheads. My mixer has only three EQ controls - low, mid, and high - and I want more equalization flexibility for my drums. I've been researching on the boards for about an hour and the only solution I could think of - adding a graphic EQ to the recording chain - has been dissed more times than Van Halen III.

My limitation: I have only $150 to play with and I don't have any noise gates or anything like that.

Any advice? Please help.

That's not enough info to be of any real help. What other gear do you have? Is the mid range on your mixer sweepable or not? As for EQ, what you need is a good 5 band parametric eq, not graphic. A graphic eq is usually only good for boosting/notching in a live setting. A parametric eq will allow you to narrow in and carve what you want/need, and you can use it many other ways if needed, not just on the overheads.

Drummerbones said:
That's not enough info to be of any real help. What other gear do you have? Is the mid range on your mixer sweepable or not? As for EQ, what you need is a good 5 band parametric eq, not graphic. A graphic eq is usually only good for boosting/notching in a live setting. A parametric eq will allow you to narrow in and carve what you want/need, and you can use it many other ways if needed, not just on the overheads.

First of all, thanks, Drummerbones. That's probably exactly what I need. I'll look into that.

Second, I did exactly what I hate reading: I posted an ambiguous question. I was in a hurry 'cause me wife was bugging me to go out to eat.

Well, I guess my "problem" really isn't a problem. I am looking for a way to add some EQ to the overheads. I want that flexibility and all I have right now is a mixer with non-sweepable low, mid, & high.

What do you guys think of the PreSonus EQ3B Parametrics? Any other suggestions? I'd have to get two - one for each OH - and I need to stay around $150...or maybe up to $200.

http://www.alesis.com/products/PEQ450/about.html

I used one of these on a project a few years ago. Alesis compressors are crap in my opinion, but this peice of equipment was really nice for my needs. It's in your price range (got mine off of Ebay), and it's a dual channel...no need to buy 2. There's better out there, but for more $. What kind of recorder are you using? Do you have any eq options there?

I'm using a Fostex MR-8 Digital Recorder. There are no EQ options with that thing.

I'm recording my drums in stereo, with the overheads on one track and the overheads on another. I will then dump it all on to my PC, adjust the bass drum, and mix 'em all together.

Can't find that PEQ-450 anywhere. That looks like it would totally kick arse.

Back