Overhead and general drum mic questions

solo169

Hey everyone! My first post here, I just found this board. I'm feeling quite overwhelmed by the amount of info... I'm looking to buy a few mics for drums. In the past, we have used a Roland V-drum set and I didn't have to worry about mics. Now, our drummer bought a pretty nice Pearl Master series set and would rather use the acoustic set. I would like to stay under $500 for the mics, what I had in mind are:
Kick - AKG D112
snare - shure sm57
Overheads - Studio Projects B1's or Marshall Electronics MXL 603s... I'm torn between the 2. Which are better????? Also are these good for vocals as well?

I'm thinking we'll have to hold off on the tom mics but how about the Sennheiser e602's or e604's

My only complaint about the V-drums are the cymbals, one idea we had was using the V-drums but using real cymbals with overhead mics. Has anyone tried this?
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Greg

I've never used the mics you have listed as overheads but I've read where the 603's sound much like the Octava MK-012's. I do have a pair og the 012's and there pretty decent as an overhead. I normally use Eartworks SR-71's as overheads but the other day I had someone come in to the studio to do some drums but I had the SR-71's out at a different studio (long story) so I put up the Octavas with the omni caps up in an NOS setup. I have to say it sounded pretty damn good to me.

solo169 said:
Overheads - Studio Projects B1's or Marshall Electronics MXL 603s... I'm torn between the 2. Which are better????? Also are these good for vocals as well?

I've used the 603s for background vocals, but I would be hesitant to use them for a lead vocal. They are very sensitive (prone to pops, etc. -- even with a pop filter and foam windscreen) and sound kind of harsh on some voices. I've heard they are bright as overheads, bringing life to dark sounding cymbals, but may be too bright for some.

Back