Overdubbing and headphones

BobHaymond

This query is a two-parter: language and headphones. I need to lay rythm tracks via MIDI and then play instrumental audio tracks while listening to the earlier tracks via hedphones. Now, in a couple of earlier posts, folks have called this "overdubbing". I had somehow gotten the idea that "overdubbing" was playing onto a previously recorded track; can somebody straighten me out on this?

Presumming that I know the correct words, what are the good headphones for this purpose? Note that I do NOT intend to use them for mixing. I would presume that both fidelity and comfort are important. Within some modest bounds cost is not a big factor.

TIA for attention. BH
Clemson. SC

YO BH:

To answer your first question, overdubbing is NOT playing on to a recorded track.

Overdubbing is cutting a new track to fit in with those previously recorded.

For example, I do the drums and chords on two tracks to set up the song I'm cutting. Then, I want to add bass; so, I put the recorded tracks, [on my gear] in the CUE mode, listen to them via headphones, and add the bass, and after that, a vocal maybe or a horn solo or whatever.

As to good cans to use, heh, heh, here we go again colleagues....

If you research this site you will probably find a zillion comments on cans. There are good cans at a mid price and high priced cans that are good. Sony makes MANY models and so does AKG, and my favorite, Beyer 770. [I had to get that in.]

So, I hope the above helps you out. And, Merry Christmas.

Green Hornet

:D :D :p

I thought I would throw in my .02 cents

GREEN HORNET- Good Expl. of overdubs!!

BH- I prefer Audio Technica Headphones.....

Only your ears will tell you which are the best... I know people who swear by AKG Cans, and I can't stand 'em

Some people like Coors Light, and some like Miller light..... To each there own I guess.....

Go out and test drive some headphones......

BG

BG -=- Coors etc

Our gang [old farts-=- my PhD students are fifty ] vote for Beast! We have it on authority from Miller and by much taste testing that Beast and Miller Lite are precisely the same beer at 60% price. I'll keep this in mind as I check out earphones.

Thanx for the heads-up: two weeks ago I didn't know what overdubbing was now I are one!

Clemson, SC

Back