Overdub a hi-hat

brotman

Hey!

I recently did a recording session, where it was rather hasty and we realized later we probably should have done a close-mic on the hihat for the song.

Would it be crazy to simply overdub a close miked hihat? There's some parts where the hihat is really closed but some washier parts also.

Would it be better to do it in the same room as the recording, or could that lead to some comb filtering? Or is that also a crazy thought?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

You can try to overdub it, but you would have to be pretty tight with the original performance.

Maybe just overdub the parts that really need articulation, then bring that track up under the rest of it, so it doesn't sound out of place.

Edit to add. I was quite serious, if done it so many time with other tracks. Fixing duff bass notes the most common, but I discovered that telling them is really a bad move. Having their playing fixed goes down quite badly with some. A personal insult, or hired help interfering sometimes. Make that Eb into an E in the second chorus and nobody ever notices. I did it with a keys guy once who had a really debilitating illness and had changed how he played to get around it but one twiddly bit was dreadful, and he was very tender about how badly he now played. I re recorded the little bit and when it was done he mentioned he always got that bit wrong, and was glad he’d managed it, but a little twiddle in the middle was upside down? I owned up and said that’s because I played that bit, I couldn’t fix it. He smiled, said thanks, I appreciate it. Never mentioned it again. Nobody else knew.

Hey!

I recently did a recording session, where it was rather hasty and we realized later we probably should have done a close-mic on the hihat for the song.

Would it be crazy to simply overdub a close miked hihat? There's some parts where the hihat is really closed but some washier parts also.

Would it be better to do it in the same room as the recording, or could that lead to some comb filtering? Or is that also a crazy thought?

Any suggestions would be appreciated
whats the hi hat sound like through the snare mic or over head ?

You can overdub anything but the problems may occure because you have to replicate it in time. If you can play the hi hats in time go for it. As for vsts hi hats I would think that is a problem as you will not get the wo and flutter of a live player, it will be precise and I am taking it you recorded live drums?

I have overdubbed HH but there was no HH previously recorded. If you are adding HH on top of HH then I think all you can do is experiment.

Back