Overclock/RAM Question

mayan

I am a total n-e-w-b-i-e when it comes to a bunch of tech stuff including overclocking. On the other hand, I could never stand the idea of a party being thrown without my being invited.

While I have absolutely no right to join the ranks of the overclocked I wanted to ask any knowledgeable folk whether there is any overclocking capability with an Asus CUSL2 and an 850E Coppermine Pent.III. Should I even bother to study the issue any further?

Also, is there ANY reason to go to 133mhz RAM rather than the PC100 that I currently have. Will the 850E work with 133? Does the CL2/CL3 make any difference?

Thanks,
S.

1. To safely overclock the 850, you have to turn the bus speed up to 133Mhz...and that's only "safe" if you have a motherboard that truely supports the 133Mhz FSB (not a modified BX board).

2. To run the bus at 133Mhz, you need PC133 memory. Yes, PC133 will also run at 100Mhz.

3. An 850 on a 133Mhz bus will result in the processor running at 1130Mhz. I seriously doubt it'll do this. Be sure to have excellent cooling before starting.

4. Your motherboard must support overriding the default bus speed for the processor.

5. You can attempt to run the bus speed at a value between 100 and 133, assuming your mobo allows it, but you will also be then overclocking both your PCI and AGP busses. This is typically not recommened....though I do it.

6. Overclocking requires patience and you better be able to deal with the risks. The secret is this: your CPU runs at a multiple of the bus speed. Since we know it's running on a 100Mhz FSB (front side bus), we derive that the CPU multiplier is 8.5, because 8.5 * 100 = 850Mhz. The CPU multiplier is locked on Intel chips, and cannot be modified. Therefore the only way to overclock is to increase the system bus speed. Unfortunately, even minor increases in the system bus speed result in large leaps in processor speed. The big hitch: both PCI and AGP run at multiples of the system bus speed (PCI: 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4; AGP: 2/3 and 1/2) , and if you run the bus at an odd value like 112Mhz, you will also have to take PCI and AGP out of spec, risking all the cards in your system to some extent. The only "safe" bus speeds are 66, 100, and 133Mhz on an i815 board. The only safe bus speeds on a 440BX board are 66 and 100Mhz.

Since you seem to know very little about this subject, and already have a fast processor, I would continue reading on the subject and give yourself some time to really mull it over.

Slackmaster 2000

SM2K's info was excellent. But, why the hell are you overclocking an 850? What do you expect to accomplish? I run a PIII 800 and don't have any problems. How many tracks and effects do you need? I'm assuming your using this for recording...... or?

If your using this machine to record, get it working under normal spec first. DAW's can be a bitch to begin with - the last thing you need is another variable to troubleshoot.

I NEED MORE POWER.....

"Scotty I need more power.... drive the engines to 110%!!!!" - Capt Kirk on crank.

Absolute power does corrupt absolutely. I say run your rig and 850 and be happy. If that is not fast enough, look at getting a K7 1.2G and motherboard.

Thanks so much for the wisdom and explanation. Better. More Newer. Most. Actually, I'm quite content. I've just seen so much about overclocking that I was moved to find out what my parameters would be.

Back