Over The Rainbow / Blues & Jazz version

Guitarquango

Hi folks, this is my third single production with Wolbai! A jazz / blues version of "Over The Rainbow". Inspired by Eric Clapton's version, we also tried to give the song a new note. Beat, bass, keys, electric guitar & vocals come from Wolbai - the acoustic accompaniment guitar and the acoustic solo were recorded by me.

The basic drum groove was created with Toontrack EZ Drummer 2 and the EZX Jazz package (Jazz Brush Delight Kit) and then refined with the help of Cubase DAW (Midi Editor). I think the broom as a striking hand is very suitable. The bass part is played in with a Sire Marcus Miller V7 and kept subtle. In the bridge and in the outro, he adds a bit of dynamics via a walking bass line. The various keys (A piano, organ, strings) are recorded with Steinberg Halion Sonic 3 VST plugins and a midi keyboard. On the guitar side, the acoustic guitar dominates in this song project, which I think gives the song a special character. (recorded with a Walden 350 and a Tascam recorder. The two electric guitar solos are recorded with a Sire Larry Carlton L7 and kept very clean. I had to record the outro solo directly with the Fractal Audio FX8 and the BluBox in the audio interface, because my tube amp unfortunately failed for a short time. The vocals are recorded with a Rode NT1-A and the Audient iD14 audio interface. I sang the vocal tracks twice in some places. During mixing / mastering, care was taken to use as little compression as possible in order to make the subtle dynamics of the individual instruments easily audible.

I hope you enjoy it! :-)

Have a nice Sunday and best regards from Hamburg,

Jimmy

Well done, Jimmy.

I have played an acoustic version based on Clapton's Over the Rainbow for quite a few years. Your's is a very nice interpretation.

The one thing I have learned is that this song has so many possibilities for arrangements - key changes or no key changes and loads of scope with changing the chords - le the Major 7th instead of the 6th you normally get. Once you add the rhythm - it changes again. Always good to hear different versions of the song - the ending is also scope for experiments. Nice one.

The one thing I have learned is that this song has so many possibilities for arrangements - key changes or no key changes and loads of scope with changing the chords - le the Major 7th instead of the 6th you normally get. Once you add the rhythm - it changes again. Always good to hear different versions of the song - the ending is also scope for experiments. Nice one.
Thanks Rob. Glad you like our version of this great classic tune.

Lot of greetings, Jimmy

Nice arrangement - good ideas. Some nits - the drums, acoustic guitar and solo vocals are quite bright - with the vocals being sibilant - when the vocals are doubled it calms it down a bit - but then the vocals are out of balance. I would back down the high end on the tracks.

Nice arrangement - good ideas. Some nits - the drums, acoustic guitar and solo vocals are quite bright - with the vocals being sibilant - when the vocals are doubled it calms it down a bit - but then the vocals are out of balance. I would back down the high end on the tracks.
Thanks for your feedback my friend!!

Hugs, Jimmy

Back