Ovation Celebrity.

bo.monro

so i just recently picked up an ovation celebrity from GC during labor day sale or something and i love it! i kind of knew i wanted an ovation so i tried out a bunch of them and some were sounding pretty good. the cheapest one was 399 however. i was goin for the best deal (naturally) he brought out a $299 celebrity and i swear it had better sound than any of the higher end ovations i tried out. i am really in love with this thing. sound is rockin good quality and it was one that was too cheap for them to have on the floor (actually i think they had just sold the floor models of this one so they grabbed it out of the back)

thats about it, just i havent felt this way about a guitar for a long time

I hope you bought that Ovation for playing live, because that's the best use for it.

They sound like total poop when you record 'em.

Glad you got a guitar you like, that's all anyone can look for. After spending many years playing an Ovation 12 string I was happy to get rid of it. My $250 Segovia 12 string had a richer sound --to my ear-- than did the $1200 Ovation I had started on.

I'm another former Ovation owner. I find they are pretty much a one-trick pony, and that trick was used up in the '80s.

a lot of encouraging replies :confused:

I have a celebrity deluxe, which looks and sounds great in a live setting as someone else mentioned above. The electronics on it are really good, and it is very easy to play.

I wouldn't worry about using it for recording, or even throwing in the back seat of your car to a jam, as they are much more useful than people make them out to be. I put them in the Line6/POD/digital modeling camp. They can have their own sound, which many people dislike if you just plug in and use 'em as such. With a little bit of "stuff" thrown in from the user, the end result can be great.

Actually, I took it to a live jam, plugged it into a full range amp with a little chorus, and had more than a couple of comments that it was one of the better live acoustic sounds they had ever heard. The sound cut thru, without being overbearing. Did it sound like a mic'd up Taylor or something?? naww...but it sounded good.

If you don't play that Glen Campbell or Melissa Ethridge stuff...you won't sound so "dated" either! :p

I've used a basic plywood-top Celebrity as my knockaround guitar for 12 years now. It remains the most rugged and stable acoustic I've ever owned. Does it sound good? Well, it doesn't sound like a traditional acoustic if that's what you're after. On the other hand, if I stick in a magnetic soundhole pickup, it takes on a quasi-archtop vibe that isn't all that bad.

Congrats.
I do a lot of recording with my Ovation Celebrity...it usually gets 2 mics and a DI at the same time. You can get a good mix out of it.
Enjoy.

mixmkr said:
Actually, I took it to a live jam, plugged it into a full range amp with a little chorus...

Hmm, an Ovation plugged into an amp with some chorus...

Let's see if I can beat that.

How about an air-raid siren, recorded through a Radio Shack condensor mic, with a heap of "aural exciter" applied to it. And then some chorus.

No, no, no. How about a garden rake being drawn across a chalkboard, recorded with a Radio Shack condensor mic, with about 12dB of 8kHz added in, some aural exciter, and then a big heap of chorus on top.

Hmm. No, maybe I can't beat that.

:D

nkjanssen said:
Hmm, an Ovation plugged into an amp with some chorus...

Let's see if I can beat that.

How about an air-raid siren, recorded through a Radio Shack condensor mic, with a heap of "aural exciter" applied to it. And then some chorus.

No, no, no. How about a garden rake being drawn across a chalkboard, recorded with a Radio Shack condensor mic, with about 12dB of 8kHz added in, some aural exciter, and then a big heap of chorus on top.

Hmm. No, maybe I can't beat that.

:D
I appreciate the "smiley" :D :D ..but in seriousness, maybe you might consider your playing to be the downfall of your sound. :D Don't they rave over at Harmony-Central :eek: that 95% of the sound is from the fingers? :p Or was that around here.........?? :cool:
I'd be glad to post a link to a sound you 'might" not expect outta the Ovation, if interested. Might be better than expected....or not :D

mixmkr said:
...maybe you might consider your playing to be the downfall of your sound.

So, you're saying that it's not Ovation guitars that sound bad, it's people who play Ovation guitars that sound bad? There's probably some truth to that. :D

I'd be glad to post a link to a sound you 'might" not expect outta the Ovation, if interested.

That's like saying, "I'd be glad to post a link to the plans for a perpetual motion machine, if interested" or "I'd be glad to post a link to proof that the Loch Ness monster exists, if interested." Of course I'd be interested. :D

mixmkr said:
...maybe you might consider your playing to be the downfall of your sound.

nkjanssen said:
So, you're saying that it's not Ovation guitars that sound bad, it's people who play Ovation guitars that sound bad? There's probably some truth to that. :D

NO... I said that you might consider YOUR playing to be the downfuall of YOUR sound :cool:

Back