Outfitting a Rig

starbuck26

Hey guys,

I've searched around the net, and I've gotten all kinds of information, none of which has really given me very good answers.

This is probably kind of a big question, and the answers will vary by preference, but I thought to ask it anyway.

As my pedalboard gets more complicated, I want to start thinking about ways to really 'finish' it in terms of sound quality from beginning to end.

Right now... I'm running my guitar into...

Radial LoopBone
Loop A: Digitech Whammy, Fulltone OCD
Loop B: Catalinbread Ottava Magus, Moog Ring Modulator.

Effects Loop (amp): TC Electonics Nova Delay.

Problem is, I still have everything connected via shitty radio shack 6" patch cables and hosa 1/4" phone plugs. And the main lines running from the guitar to the board to the amp are like, $20 generic guitar cables.

I think I've got some pretty premo shit on this board. It's time to rip up the rats nest and replace all the cables with something solid.

I think I'm interested to go the route of getting a spool of cable and some connectors and making them myself.

The question I want to ask, though, is not what is simply the 'best.' I'd like to know, specifically, what makes one cable better than another. How are they constructed, what materials, etc.

Anyone got some links/answers?

Love it.

I love my George L's. Cut to fit, re-useable, you can buy more ends, buy more cable, sonically wonderful. Get the L-shaped connectors. Leave some spare wire in your guitar case. They look custom because they are.

I'd look at the George L:s and planet waves solderless kits, just for the neatyness of exactly measured cables, I use Planet waves, seems OK when they're not moved much. And fricken easy. Gold-plated, and Planet waves have these "springs" on the plug that makes it stick in there better.

You'll know a quality cable when you see one. I'm partial to buying Neutrik cable and L connectors from parts-express.com or some of those other cats that carry the stuff. Solder them yourself and you're golden. That's what I did anyway.

I'm sorry; I think I muddled my question up.

I mean to ask, what is it that makes one cable better than another... why is a George L cable better than a neutrik or better than a monster or better than a generic?

I read through half a dozen threads on gearslutz and kept finding people swearing by cables they used... but didn't find any information as to what made them good.

There's people who say things like, 'these cables give a really warm signal...' and others who say, 'these cables give a really dark tone perfect for high-gain amps...' Why? What's the difference?

Back