Outboard gear

Stephen Jones

A rudimentary question:
I have cakewalk 9.3 and a Delta 66 soundcard. I've been recording audio (as opposed to MIDI). Can I use outboard gear (like a reverb box) for mixing? How do I set it up?
thanks,
steve

u'd need a mixer to connect the reverb box too or if ur instrument/synthesizer supports plugging in efx boxes u can do that too

Stephen, why do you want a reverb unit when you can use software rverbs?

The trend is now away from outboard gear.

Paul881 said:

I beg to differ with you. I've never used a plug in reverb that I thought sounded as good as a hardware reverb unit. EVER.

Paul881 said:

maybe for homereccers

but pros still go the H/W route unless they are using the TDM system by digidesign, even then the reverb are still suspect

A few ways to do this.
Send your to be effected signal out D/A, and back A/D to the effects unit(s), or do the same using digi in out. This may be done 'live' (with a few ms of latency with the analog route), or recorded as new effects tracks.
wayne

Thanks for the replies.
I'm wondering if people are happy going the "digital to analog and then back to digital" route? (again, like to an old reverb box or something). I'm thinking about picking up some kind of reverb unit, and while my soundcard supports S/PDiF, I'm not sure outboard digital gear wil be much better than the digital plug-ins I've been using. Does doing the D/A conversions compromise the reverb sound? If so, in what way?
Any suggestions would be more than welcome.
Thanks,
steve

Teacher wrote:

maybe for homereccers

Er....is this the Home recording forum or what?!?!&*£

Stephen, as you can see from the variety of replies this is a contoversial subject!

I use various software fx, and I consider the Waves and the Timeworks plug-ins to be as good if not better than anything I have ever used in a lifetime of playing music. But I have also heard bad ones too, as I have bad hardware reverbs.

In the end, you make your own mind up.

But there is nothing quite like twiddling knobs, I agree:)

BTW, the quality of the A/D converters is just part of the issue here. No doubt this thread will run for quite a while!

Last edited:
Back