Outboard compression gives a more full sound?

alexvdbroek

I was looking at the wave forms of 'Time out of Mind' (Bob Dylan, Daniel Lanois producer) and the files still had dynamic range but weren't totally squashed or even near the 0db point.
The music has a very present and intense (loudish) sound.

In some recordings I have done, I have had more dynamic variation and the files were technically louder in points (closer to the 0Db point) but still weren't as full.....

Is this due to outboard compression during the recording? Or are things just really nicely in phase?

Thanks
Alex

I was looking at the wave forms of 'Time out of Mind' (Bob Dylan, Daniel Lanois producer) and the files still had dynamic range but weren't totally squashed or even near the 0db point.
The music has a very present and intense (loudish) sound.

In some recordings I have done, I have had more dynamic variation and the files were technically louder in points (closer to the 0Db point) but still weren't as full.....

Is this due to outboard compression during the recording? Or are things just really nicely in phase?

Thanks
Alex

Dimes to dollars, it's due to 1.) intelligently used compression, so the files aren't too squashed to begin with, and 2.) the finished mixes not being squashed to hell in mastering in pursuit of maximum CD volume.

Also, you might want to look into your tracking... How hot do you normally track?

Every part of the recording process determines how present & intense the sound quality of the finished product will be.

Depending on a person's approach, the order of importance my vary. Mine is:

source
room sound
mic's and skilled use of them
pre's "
conversion
Processing - hardware compression, for instance
FX

Visual waveforms don't tell much about sound quality.

The Dylan recording you mention was probably tracked with very fine mic's & pre's, in a great sounding room, and every aspect from first note to finished product was handled by highly skilled and experienced engineers.

Neither - it's due to the skills of the recording, mixing, and mastering engineers. You can get excellent results with plug-in compressors if the source material is good and you know what you're doing.

--Ethan

Back