our marshall jcm2000 died this week...the tubes?

earworm

on our last rehearsal my brother "blew" is Marshall jcm 2000 combo,
a very silent sound was still coming out of it, like if the preamp and distortion still work, but like the master out seems dead

might it be some of the tubes that died during transport? If one tube is broken, will there still be sound passing trough the amp? and when do you know that a tube is broken, when it doesn't give any light anymore?

all info is welcome,

cheers

sorry i've not the time today to trouble shoot online...but in any event tube amps are not to be fucked with... they are dangerous if you dont know what your doing... and it seems that would enclude you... time to see the doctor...

If you hear the guitar being played and the sound is coming from the head and not the speaker, you lost the connection to the cabinet. Check the cable, input jack on the cabinet and output jack on the head. In that order. Do not run the head that way for more than a few seconds, you could blow out the output transformer.

Also check the fuses.

mhh,

i did check the fuse (or is there more than one?),
to my disappointment i noticed it was still OK,

i touched the connection cable between head and speaker, seemed to be still plugged in...

if my brother isn't too busy smoking weed today he'll connect the head to a Hiwat 4x12" cabinet to see if its the speaker or amp thats fkt

in the main time, can anyone tell me what tubes are used in a jcm 2000?

earworm said:
i touched the connection cable between head and speaker, seemed to be still plugged in...
Replace the cable, it might have gone bad. Try the other speaker jack as well.

earworm said:
if my brother isn't too busy smoking weed today he'll connect the head to a Hiwat 4x12" cabinet to see if its the speaker or amp thats fkt
Good idea. (the testing, not the weed smoking)

earworm said:
in the main time, can anyone tell me what tubes are used in a jcm 2000?
The tubes in the amp are clearly marked (on the tube) There are different tubes that could be in there, you need to look at your amp to see which ones are being used. There should only be 4 screws holding on the back cover. The little ones will probably be 12ax7 tubes and the big ones will probably be EL34 tubes. The big ones could be 6550's as well. There are European numbers that correspond to the same tubes, it's too early in the morning for me to remember them at the moment. Just look.

Farview said:
Replace the cable, it might have gone bad. Try the other speaker jack as well.

Good idea. (the testing, not the weed smoking)

The tubes in the amp are clearly marked (on the tube) There are different tubes that could be in there, you need to look at your amp to see which ones are being used. There should only be 4 screws holding on the back cover. The little ones will probably be 12ax7 tubes and the big ones will probably be EL34 tubes. The big ones could be 6550's as well. There are European numbers that correspond to the same tubes, it's too early in the morning for me to remember them at the moment. Just look.

6CA7. maybe?

Back