Our latest effort

This sounds great, its very difficult to be critical in any way. The song is good with strong lyrics, and well performed. I like the vocals and backup vocals. The guitar sounds detailed without ever sounding scratchy. The drums are well recorded sound clear and sit easily into the track without dominating.
The only comment I would make (and it may be due to the system I listening on) is that I thought at times it lacked some inertia, this may be down to the lock in and definition between the bass and kick drum. On second listen maybe adding a tambourine or some other percusion providing a subtle 16th note or an accented downbeat feel might add something.
This is a tiny point when compared to whats good about it.

very pro sound man with the exception of the kick.

The chorus seems to dip in level. I think that the lead vox is a tad too loud. The chorus level is a tad too low but was perfect there at the end.

By the way, the chorus is certified WILDCARD.

Funk on!

very nice song-the melody is catchy. My slight mixing critiques would be the lead vocal seems a tad loud and the cymbals have a wierd sound-like an unnatural sustain or something?....The acoustic guitars sound great they really sparkle and jump out of the mix. Nice job!

WOW!

You've got yourself one hell of a recording. Very clean and balanced. Please note that I could fluff your feathers further but, with this kind of quality, I'm sure you get plenty of the positive:);).

The only things. And I do mean ONLY things that I could really comment on in a "possible improvement" sort of way are these.

At 2:20 the drums could pause and forget the fill. Let the song pause completely and get it going again with the git solo. That fill didn't jibe for some reason.

On the outro, I thought the backup vox came in too strong to start. Lower the first set and build them ( I know it would be a subtle and quick build) before fading the song out.

Just my doltish thoughts.

Great sond and mix!! Nothing but taste.

Theron.

there are some volume problems with the vocals. Like the second line in the song is really low...and then the lead vocs come in comparitively loud...at actually the volume I like hearing them. The chorus' are generally low in volume...but it seems to vary widely. The mix is pretty decent, but lacks fullness, probably due to the bass gtr not holding down the low end. It's a judgement call on whether you like the drum and acoustic sounds, as they are ok, but sound kinda 'raw' sounding, VS a polished, mix/mastered sound. Kinda like the fadars are pushed up for a rough playback mix. Very nice lead vocal voice.

Thanks Guys.
Just got back from a few days away and checked the messages.
All comments here will definately be considered.

I'll come clean about the drums.... they're "one hit" samples arranged on tracks "midi fashion". I was thinking about playing with eq on some of them, but I wanted other opinions first.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mark

i say - as a drummer myself....i always end up listening to drums first.

one of the biggest things i'd say dont use toms at all if they dont sound real - and yours dont...and teh kick - well...try to find a new one.

there are a ton of free drum sample sites out on the net...just look it up on yahoo or something - and experiance to find the best. Not to mention, if you'll be doing drum sequencing all the time - look into a drum machine or a sample cd.

First, very nice song and mix.

There are two things I perhaps would change:
1. Stereo image - I think it is too wide, at least the drums. Did you say you were using a samples? Maybe pan the drums less left and right, if you understand want I mean.
2. Lack of energy - It feels like there is a small "hole" in the mix, maybe due to the lack of some low-mid freq (it could be my speakers as well). I think mixmkr was talking about the same thing when he said "...lacks fullness".

/Jonas

Great song! The only thing I would do is work on the chorus a bit. The lead guitar is kinda getting washed with the vocals in the chorus. (or vise versa)

Sounds good! :)

Back