Our first try....

Just finished listening, and thought it was a well done song. I'd like to hear when you finish mixing.
Ed

Hey thanks Ed...
We are quite pleased with it. I'll post a few more when we have them finished, mastered an all....

Do feel free to give any constructive criticism on our first effort. I'm no recording/mixing expert so it's great to hear feedback from people that know what their doing.....
Thanks all
Lee.

Light In The Darkness

Wow! You have a real arrangement and everything! It's a nicely thought-out track as far as the building of the instruments and vocals. Sound quality wise, it's well done for a home recording. Nice EQ and effects on the vocs/harmonies, good drum and bass sound, cool tone choices on the double-tracked rhythm guitars. Pleasant mix blend and stereo field. I definitely have one criticism; I hate the way the lead guitar was micked and EQ'd. It sounds thin with ice-picky high mids and really fizzy high frequencies that don't go with the rest of the mix at all. Makes it sound like the rest of the guitars were DI'd, and there's nothing wrong with that because they sound good and fit into the mix. I would re-record those leads.

The song itself is a pretty decent dark angst-rocker with radio friendly hooks. Definitely accessible. With the exception of the lead guitar sound, this is a piece of work you should be proud of. It's a well planned track that's way better than alot of the stuff you hear on soundclick and nowhereradio, etc. Nice Job!

Last edited:
Kewl....thank very much for your response AcidDart.
I totally agree about the guitar solo sounds. I was planning on re-recording it. I setup for recording solo's pretty much the same way as I do for rhythm. Should I be changing anything for lead sounds....less overdrive maybe?
Thanks
Lee.

Hey Lee! You know, it really sounded to me like you had different mic placement or maybe were even using a different mic on the lead. Obviously that is the sound your amp is getting with that gain and tone set up, and I don't think it's the problem, although you might want to roll off the extreme highs a tad. I think you would want to experiment with the mic placement (or try a different mic) on the cabinet to find fatter mid and low mid response with a natural roll off of the highs. It's cool to have the highs present, just not so focused and up front.

The problem with the lead sound you have now is that the whole rest of the song has a really even and well balanced hi-freq signature to it, but when the leads come in, all of a sudden the highs are disproportionally intense and over the top. You might want to try some different EQ curves on the lead track instead of re-recording- Like gradually rolling things off at about 5k and above, and maybe fattening things up in between 500 and 1.5k. That may be all you need to do. Experiment! I Just would have tried different placement or a different mic during recording.

I really like the overall project and that's really a pretty simple problem to fix. You guys have some really cool production ideas and nice performances, vocal character, guitar tones and stuff! You guys gotta be pretty happy with it as the first effort, aren't you???!!! :cool:

I'll try to get a chance to listen to the other song too.

Hey thanks very much. I think I will try and re eq the leads before I attempt to re-record them.
We are very pleased with the way or project is progressing. Also, the sound quality so far has exceeded my expectations....let me know if you like the other almost finished song....'Bring Me Down'....

Back