Other uses for ATM25 besides kick?

Speeddemon

Hi, I'm contemplating on getting an Audio Technica ATM25 in the nearby future, and I was wondering on which other sources it fares well, besides kick drum?

My current lil' mic cabinet consists of
-SP B3
-SP C1
-Shure SM57
-Sennheiser MD421
-Sennheiser e609

to this will most likely be added a pair of SD condensers and a MXL V67G, and maybe after that more MD421's...

Anyway, tell me about the ATM25, o.k.?

O.k., so have floor-toms and electric bass cab's covered...

But what about slide trombones and upright basses (I'm doing occasional jazz-stuff for others)?

I've only used my ATM25 on kick and floor tom... nice mic too. I think it's frequency response is about 30Hz to 12kHz or something like that... not much upper end.

I tried it for distorted electric guitar once. I think it would do very well if you're after a scooped mids metal sound. Seeing that you already own an MD421, I'd say go for the ATM25.

Cheers
/Henrik

Oh, and I think I'd prefer an condenser for upright bass. I havent recorded one in ages, but that's my gut feeling.

what is nice about the atm25 is that it is a "tuned" mic.

"tuned" for bass drum and floor,rack toms... but that tuning can work on other things... but generally not. sometimes it sounds cool on voice. sometimes on electric guitar.

the uses i found for my atm25 were: toms and bass drums when i didnt have much time for positioning, or they drums sounded like crap (it is a forgiving mic). guitar amp when the guitarist had terrible tone and i wanted to totally reshape it. close up, dirty vocals. bass cab when the bass cab sounds like crap.

anyway, it is a very useful mic to have in a large collection. i sold mine when i was trimming my "color" mics down (i had WAY too many)

Re: speedy

detuned6 said:
How does that E609 sound on "Metal" guitar sounds? I was thinkin of gettin one
Pretty nice, but I still prefer the MD-421 on guitar cabs... I can't help but wondering why pro's keep recommending the SM57 for that, when there's a mic around like a MD421...

The e609 has a smoother top-end and more bottom than an SM57, but it lacks a bit of definition that the MD-421 has.

Re: Re: speedy

I agree... the Sennheiser MD421 works great on both guitar and bass amps... and so many other things too. :)

Re: Re: speedy

Speeddemon said:
I can't help but wondering why pro's keep recommending the SM57 for that, when there's a mic around like a MD421...

Ditto. I have a pair of white 421's...based on their usefulness, I could have paid double for them. (Of course, that goes for the 57 as well). Someday I'd like to get one of the newer ones that I understand are a bit brighter. Might be a useful colour on my palette.

Nevertheless, the ATM25 is also a good mic, even though it's not as allround as the MD421.

Cheers
/Henrik

IMHO the MD421 is the second best dynamic mic around...the 441 being a bit better as far as response and sensitivity.
The ATM25 is a wonderful mic for kik,toms.snare and bass cabs as well as a 'second' close mic for heavy heavy guitar.
It is not nearly as versatile as the 421 but then it was never meant to be. Its also half the price.
As for a 57 compared to 421, its a third the price and if you need a hammer and dont want to walk out to the truck.....

57's are also a bit wider in their mic to mic tone range.I have 3 57's that are quite old and I treasure them like a Neumann..they just sound better than other 57's.....$20 ea. pawn shop....1983.

Back