OTB mixing question

kiwimike

Hi all

In the last 12 months or so I’ve begun summing OTB through a SW 1280b, and am really happy with the results. With only 12 channels, I usually send the main vox & bass out as mono sends, and send the rest as busses – drums, guitars, keys, etc, with all effects, processing, etc, ITB.

My DAW is DP7 and, apart from DP’s bundled plugs, I also have SSL’s Duende and a bunch of other 3rd party plugs

I have though recently been considering using hardware compressors, but as my budget is limited, at first I really can’t afford to splash out on high-end gear. Probably I’m look at something like FMR Audio’s RNC, or some of the cheaper DBX units. Maybe an Art Pro VLA?

My question is, am I going to achieve an improvement with this approach or am I better off sticking with plugins?

What do you think?

Thanks, Mike

I only use a bit of hardware comps for tracking and I've been really satisfied ITB with some standard plugs and UAD. It seems the general consensus is plug quality is up pretty high these days. Unless you're finessing over the differences in high end outboard, but even there that's to a large part as much preferred working method.
My advice would be to look at your front end going in –pre's(?) and a nice comp? that would bring something to your tracking as well as double at mix if that's where you're at in terms of what's holding you back. Get your feet wet. :)

Chameleon 7602's, 'Fletcher's P38 (used thank you), Precision 8, dbx160xt, ocasional RNC going in has made for good mileage and impact, pretty much good to go ITB otherwise here.

I recommend you give the RNC a try. Its a great comp and one of the best bargains in audio. In my mix studio I have everything from plug in comps to a $20,000 analog compressor, and I still use my RNC on every mix I do. (I love it as a drum buss comp in "really nice" mode"

Thanks guys

Mixsit - yeah, I'm already pretty well covered for channel strips with comps - a mix of Safesound Audio & Mindprint. It was for the OTB mixing stage that I ain't sooo sure about?

Ronan - yeah, that's my feeling too. I'll grab a couple of RNC's and see what happens.

Thanks again, Mike

Back