otari mx5050 8shd calibration?

moogmymellotron

hi guys

seeing how this is a different subject related to the same machine i thought a new thread would be okay.

As some of you may know, my machine is up and running now:D however, i lack the manual and service manual...does anyone have any experience calibrating these machines..ive done several tascam units but this otari is a bit..odd to me. I feel im just chasing tails and not really getting anywhere w this machine calibration wise.

also...what the heck does SRL mean?:drunk:

thank you!

also...what the heck does SRL mean?:drunk:

thank you!

SRL means Standard Reference Level. It's the fixed-level input option. That's the quick and easy setting for if you are using gear that should produce that same reference level and you will adjust the exact level on another piece of gear. The input level control is bypassed and you will have a fixed level of gain on the input. If the SRL is +4 dBm, which I suspect is true for this model, a +4 dBm input signal will register 0 VU on the meter when that channel is monitoring the input signal.

I can't recall if this model has a "High/Low" signal level option as well, as my MKIII-8 does. In that case, the High/Low switch determines if the SRL is +4 dBm for High or -8 dBm for Low. In either case, the variable-level input option (SRL switch "out") on my machine provides variable gain up to 10 dB or so above the gain at the SRL.

Does that help?

Cheers,

Otto

OHHHH that makes sense..kinda. My SRL attenuates the input rather heavily so i suspect it must be far out of spec. do you have any recordings youve made on your otari? i just began testing this beast and have found it to be rather quiet! i love it.

thanks again otto!

The calibration is to measure an input signal (via an accurate AC voltmeter, for example) and adjust it to the reference level (+4 dBm or 1.228 V RMS, I assume), then run it into the recorder and verify that in SRL mode the meter reads 0 VU. Relative to maximum variable gain setting, I assume it will attenuate the signal a bunch. For my MKIII series, the SRL gain is 10 dB below the maximum variable gain (SRL off and gain knob at maximum).

Cheers,

Otto
OHHHH that makes sense..kinda. My SRL attenuates the input rather heavily so i suspect it must be far out of spec. do you have any recordings youve made on your otari? i just began testing this beast and have found it to be rather quiet! i love it.

thanks again otto!

Back