Otari mtr 15 recording problem.

aert

I'm hitting with with red, record and play button while in the input section. Recording with no sound.
Monitoring is ok but recording without sound just silence.
Hitting play and record at the sametime, turning back, playing but no sound ?
Am i doing something wrong ?
Thanks

Are the tracks armed in the "ready" mode or are they still switched to the "safe" mode? If they're in the safe mode, no recording will take place.

If that's been set properly, are you switching the monitoring selector back to sync or repro once the recording attempt has been made? If you leave the monitoring switch set to input, no sound can be heard other then the signal present at the input jacks.

If that's been set properly, are the heads clean? With sufficiently dirty heads, little or no signal may be reaching the tape. Clean the heads.

Let us know.

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your fast answer The ghost of FM. I think heads are dirty. What do i have to do ?

You'll need some isoprypol alcohol, 95% pure or higher and Q-tips to clean them as well as all the guide posts, lifter arms and the capstan. The rubber pinch roller can be cleaned with windex also applied by Q-tips. Basically all the metal parts that the tape touches when its threaded and playing on the deck. Check your local drug store for those supplies.

Also, if the problem is in fact filthy heads, you may be using old tape that's succumb to sticky shed syndrome. Older Ampex 456 is usually suspect. Get some fresh new tape. We have a sticky thread on this topic. Please review it to learn more about this issue.

Also, if your not familiar with tape recorders in general and how to do basic stuff like cleaning the heads, try doing a you tube search for any video tutorials. The basic idea is to dip a Q-tip into the alcohol, squeeze out the excess so its not dripping, and then gently scrub down the parts I mentioned until the Q-tips no longer show any brownish gunk or dirt being picked up. The initial cleaning may take several swabs to get off every last bit of dirt.

Lastly, if you've got the owners manual for this deck, sit down and read it and then read it again, as many times as necessary until you fully understand how it works. If you don't have the manual, make effort to purchase one from Otari or off someone on ebay. Having it is a must.

You'll need some isoprypol alcohol, 95% pure or higher and Q-tips to clean them as well as all the guide posts, lifter arms and the capstan. The rubber pinch roller can be cleaned with windex also applied by Q-tips.

I've not heard of that before. Windex appears not to exist in the UK - it's the name of some trade convention and a couple of other things. It may be sold under a different name. Does it have to be that particular stuff or will other glass cleaners work?

I've not heard of that before. Windex appears not to exist in the UK - it's the name of some trade convention and a couple of other things. It may be sold under a different name. Does it have to be that particular stuff or will other glass cleaners work?

I can't speak for every window cleaning spray on the market but would suspect most are of a similar chemical concoction. Soapy water with dish detergent would also do, I suppose. Or, going all the way and ordering a can of Caig RBR cleaner/re-conditioner would probably be the best but most expensive route.

I have a Otari MTR25N but require the schematics (circuit Diagrams) for it - they seem to be as elusive as hens teeth, does any body know where I might purchase these.
I have been searching on the internet and emailing various people/sites suggested to me but without luck.

Back