OT: My Crane Song Adventure!

Don't know about the future, but before, that whole area - almost up to that sign - was totally underwater and part of Lake Superior.

Interesting. I think I may have passed through there at some point during a trip to the UP last year.

Love taking trips up north. Being a city boy, it's so weird to be traveling along the road at night sometimes and actually seeing more deer than you do other cars.

chessrock said:
Interesting. I think I may have passed through there at some point during a trip to the UP last year.

Love taking trips up north. Being a city boy, it's so weird to be traveling along the road at night sometimes and actually seeing more deer than you do other cars.

Funny thing is, most people love seeing the deer around here at night. But only the locals know enough to WATCH for deer at night. Escpecially in the spring and fall. Those that don't WATCH for deer at night, usually end up introducing their grill to said deer. It isn't pretty...

I have deer sleeping in my yard most nights and I live in the MIDDLE of this little village. I'm used to them after having been here for so long. But to the tourist or 'just passing through' person, WATCH for the deer from early evening to late morning and if you see them or their eyes glaring back at you SLOW DOWN IMMEDIATELY... or make sure you have up to date insurance, good road service and a cell phone. ;)

7string said:
But to the tourist or 'just passing through' person, WATCH for the deer from early evening to late morning and if you see them or their eyes glaring back at you SLOW DOWN IMMEDIATELY... or make sure you have up to date insurance, good road service and a cell phone. ;)

Oh, I'm originally from Michigan, so I know a few things about watching for deer. :D

Thanks, though.

chessrock said:
Oh, I'm originally from Michigan, so I know a few things about watching for deer. :D

Thanks, though.

Sorry. I would haven't responded earlier but I was at the beach around the bend watching the TWO-LEGGED deer. ;)

Where are you from here?

chessrock said:

Thanks, though.

I'm from Alaska. If you think deer make bad hood orniments, you should see what a moose does to a car. They stand so tall that the front of the car just takes their legs out, and the rest of the moose comes right over the hood and into your lap. And they love getting out of the deep snow and walking on those nice roads we made for them. They get indignant when you suggest with your horn that they go back to the deep snow, and will drop their head and charge your car. They do the same with trains, which have cow catchers on the front for this reason.
Now I live in the Santa Cruz mountains in California. I have lots of deer close calls, but so far so good.

-RD

Robert D said:
I'm from Alaska. If you think deer make bad hood orniments, you should see what a moose does to a car.

Ouch. I don't even want to think about it.

:eek:

7string said:
Where are you from here?

Bay City. Not exactly "up north" or anything, but I go the UP every summer / fall. Kewanau Peninsula is a favorite spot.

Robert D said:
They get indignant when you suggest with your horn that they go back to the deep snow, and will drop their head and charge your car.
We have the same problem here with Cubs fans. :D

G.

chessrock said:
Ouch. I don't even want to think about it.

:eek:

Bay City. Not exactly "up north" or anything, but I go the UP every summer / fall. Kewanau Peninsula is a favorite spot.

I'm about an hour from Bay City, up the eastern coast, the OPPOSITE side of the Kewanau Peninsula. That's pretty country over there.

New and improved!!!

The original "Crane Song Adventure" page from July was SO popular, it was mind-blowing. Several thousand users over only the first several days. Of course, I only had a few shot that were actually take at Crane Song...

Let's say that several people let me know that they were a little disappointed about that.

I hate to disappoint - I was up there AGAIN on Tuesday with camera in-hand. The page has been updated with more photos from the facility.

I won't take it personally that so few people actually cared that I finally got a vacation... :)

CRANE SONG ADVENTURE Trip

Massive Master said:
I won't take it personally that so few people actually cared that I finally got a vacation... :)
Nothing personal at all on this end. Considering that my last real vacation was in July of 1998 (the three days spent commuting to/from Delaware to be a best man at my friend's wedding in October 2002 doesn't count :rolleyes: ), I just don't have the energy for vacation empathy at this time ;).

But I am glad to see that at least one of us got away for a while. Congrats and hope you got a good, solid re-charge. :)

G.

Back