OT. frustrating

steve.h said:
Being talented just means that you learn something much faster or more naturally than others. It doesn't mean you're good at it.

If you were talented at something, it would seem you would be good at it, no? For example, if you learned to play guitar well and people thought you were talented, wouldn't that mean that you're a good guitar player?

Seems to me if you're talented at something, you in turn are good at it.

steve.h said:
What are you confused about?

I think he's confused because the context that talented was being used in was indeed referring to how good a person is at something. I'd say that "gifted" people learn faster, "talented" people are good at whatever it is they're doing. "Naturals" are a great blend of both.

I think what he meant was, you can have a natural talent for something, it doesn't mean you put in the time and effort to develop it. Like, if you know a guy that's a "natural" baseball player. He was born with a natural talent that gives him a head start on most people, you call him a "natural". But he never practiced, so he got left behind by others who had less natural talent but more desire and drive. I think that's what he meant, though I could be way off.

EDIT: Posted at the same time as Johnny, who has a good explanation there, too.

RAMI said:
I think what he meant was, you can have a natural talent for something, it doesn't mean you put in the time and effort to develop it. Like, if you know a guy that's a "natural" baseball player. He was born with a natural talent that gives him a head start on most people, you call him a "natural". But he never practiced, so he got left behind by others who had less natural talent but more desire and drive. I think that's what he meant, though I could be way off.

EDIT: Posted at the same time as Johnny, who has a good explanation there, too.

I knew *somebody* would understand what I'm talking about :P

scorpio01169 said:
you know i go to alota recording forums and there always seems that a newbee will come in and say i have $300 whats the best gear to record my band or beats? i dont have too much of a problem with that cause i simply dont have to answer it, however when someone one the streets ask me if i can help them with their home studio and they only have two or three hundred dollars to work with. that pisses me off. when will MTV, BET, and all the other music networks stop lying to these kids telling them they can just jump into this thing with little or no money? i watch these shows on how an artist comes up, but they never show the money spent on this artist. or they they show this artist in the studio just hanging around but they never show the studio owners paying the cost of that studio. i just feel that if the story is gonna be told, tell the whole story and maybe it will let these wanna be producers that it aint all it's cracked up to be and that you are not under ANY way are you gonna have a $300 studio.

I'm gonna be straight foward...

you're thinking inside the box. it's a market pay off thing, dude. It's all about ratings. If M-audio or whoever can get a verbal plug in there from some random asshole, they've made some cash.

You see, to the general public, Puff Daddy giving a verbal ass-whooping in a random studio to a bunch of pimple faced kids is good footage. And we know your largest audience is youth based (preteens up to mid 20ish).

Some dude stressing over his W2's, whether he should rent a specific microphone and whether he should change out a preamp on channel 73 on the SSL in studio C makes people flip the channel. Frankly, it dosn't belong on TV.

Now if some asshole thinks of a way to turn Abbey Road into the next season of Real World: London, then you have a show. Not a very good one, but a show no less.

Besides, think of the marketing 101 on your favorite artists for a second. If you start showing footage of how terrible he/she *really* is in the studio, or how long it can take to make an album, you just ruined the illusion.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see there being any good show breaking the "truth" about recording studios. Frankly there's no truth to break that people don't already know about, or care about for that matter.

steve.h said:
Kinda? Your response just seemed kind of out of left-field and didn't seem relevant in any way to the current conversation. Nothing bad really, just random!

Ah!

So what's the question?

bezusheist said:
...i can make professional recordings on a wal-mart boom-box tape recorder...cause i'm extremely talented...i don't waste my time making up excuses...i just do it......

Yeah. sure you do. Post one and let the board decide how much talent you have and how prefessional your boombox recordings are.

Free tip for you: People who ARE talented do not feel like they need to convince others of their talented. They just do what they do and let their work speak for them.

Back