OSX (GarageBand) or XP (Cubase SE)?

vintagetobes

Hi, i am doing some recording with my music teacher next week. One session will be with a small drum kit and the other with various jazz instruments and electronic stuff. Anyway, he has also asked me to bring along any "noise makers" ie soft synths.
I use a macbook with an edirol fa101 10 in firewire interface. The macbook has a windows partition and a mac one. There is a known problem with cubase on mac and therefore this is not an option. It will however work on the windows partition.
Do you recon i should use garageband or cubase? I know garageband limits the use of softsynths, but the apple should handle audio better (what with core audio)

Another option is to use my proper music system but this means carting a massive PC to school + monitor etc. It is however a very powerful system.

Cheers

Garageband to me is really more of a toy that an actual music app...kinda the equivalent of Window's Movie Maker as compared to like Adobe Aftereffects...I'd go with Cubase, but then again, I've never personally used GB, it may be wonderful.

Garage band sucks. But still go with OSX! theres other things out there.

Garageband is a joke, its a waste of 300mb, thats why i deleted from my mac.

Garageband is to OSX as Sound Recorder is to Windows 98. Theres an analogy for ya! I wish that one was on the SAT's...

macmoondoggie said:
Those camparing GarageBand to moviemaker and sound recorder have absolutely no idea what their talking about. Use it! You'll probably like it and get a clue as to why its so popular.

its popular amongst people who arent exactly looking for "professional" (and i use that term very loosely) results. sure, its a fun little program if your just sticking some loops together for fun, but its very limited in its abilities.

sure, you can use it. im not stopping anyone.

TragikRemix said:
its popular amongst people who arent exactly looking for "professional" (and i use that term very loosely) results. sure, its a fun little program if your just sticking some loops together for fun, but its very limited in its abilities.

sure, you can use it. im not stopping anyone.

I don't recall anyone except you mentioning "professional" results. He asked a simple question. I answered according to the criteria he set forth.

Excuse me, it was a general criteria and I answered with my opinion. Profession is equivalent to "good sounding".

I guess if you like to record and have the results sound like you recorded through the 1/8" line in on your computer, by all means...

Garageband leaves no room for editing, mixing or mastering.

Im not trying to argue over this, i am stating my opinion, which just happens to contradict yours. I do not like garageband, and if someone was going to record me or any band with it, i would have to laugh.

TragikRemix said:
Excuse me, it was a general criteria and I answered with my opinion. Profession is equivalent to "good sounding".

I guess if you like to record and have the results sound like you recorded through the 1/8" line in on your computer, by all means...

Garageband leaves no room for editing, mixing or mastering.

Im not trying to argue over this, i am stating my opinion, which just happens to contradict yours. I do not like garageband, and if someone was going to record me or any band with it, i would have to laugh.

I didn't say I use it, only answered the original question which you must have read a lot more into than I did.
Peace bro!

Back