Osm800 Condenser anyone?

diablo74

Greetings ≈

Dose anyone own the "PLATINUM" osm800 Audio Spectrum mic? I recently bought this but haven't tried it out yet. Maybe someone could give a review or describe how it sounds compared to others. I know its a Large-diaphragm FET type but i've got no clue what a internal bass Roll-off switch dose. Do you?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :) :mad: :mad: :mad:

"A bass roll-off switch is a high pass filter. What it does is attenuate any frequencies below a certain designated value (typically anywhere from 75 to 160 Hz). The roll-off also can vary in the slope (or how steep the curve is), usually measured in dB per octave. These values typically can vary from -6 dB per octave to -18 dB per octave.

Some mics give you multiple roll-off options. You could have a gentle slope with a higher frequency starting point (such as 6dB per octave starting at 160 Hz), or a steeped slope at a lower frequency (like 12dB per octave starting at 80 Hz).

What is the practical value of this? It can eliminate a number of "non-musical" sounds that might otherwise get into the recording, often without effecting the sound you are trying to record.

These undesired low frequency artifacts can include rumble from a furnace, trucks, planes, and stand vibrations from footsteps or foot-tapping on the sudio floor. Another common use is to compensate for proximity effect, which is when a vocalist might be a little too close to the mic, resulting in an unwanted boosting of the bass frequencies of the recorded voice. By engaging the roll-off switch, the voice reverts to a more "natural" sound."

-littledog

:mad: :mad: :mad: :D :mad: :mad: :mad:

Don't know about the "Platinum" model, or if's it the same as the standard OSM800, but I know this "guy" who decided to risk the money for one. "He" told me to tell you not to waste your money. It's the same circuit at an MXL 2001 and has more mesh in the grill. It sounds as bad as a 2001.

"He" wouldn't recommend it at all. "He" used it for something else later.

:D :D :D :D :D

I've never heard of it either. I googled it, and found some places selling it, but none of these sellers had specs or graphs to indicate how it sounds. The retail price was $50-$80 depending on the seller.

Post an audio clip of something you've recorded with it and let us know how you like it when it arrives.

diablo74 said:
Greetings ≈

Dose anyone own the "PLATINUM" osm800 Audio Spectrum mic? I recently bought this but haven't tried it out yet. Maybe someone could give a review or describe how it sounds compared to others. I know its a Large-diaphragm FET type but i've got no clue what a internal bass Roll-off switch dose. Do you?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :) :mad: :mad: :mad:

how about trying it out and seeing what YOU think?

diablo74 said:
"A bass roll-off switch is a high pass filter. What it does is attenuate any frequencies below a certain designated value (typically anywhere from 75 to 160 Hz). The roll-off also can vary in the slope (or how steep the curve is), usually measured in dB per octave. These values typically can vary from -6 dB per octave to -18 dB per octave.

Some mics give you multiple roll-off options. You could have a gentle slope with a higher frequency starting point (such as 6dB per octave starting at 160 Hz), or a steeped slope at a lower frequency (like 12dB per octave starting at 80 Hz).

What is the practical value of this? It can eliminate a number of "non-musical" sounds that might otherwise get into the recording, often without effecting the sound you are trying to record.

These undesired low frequency artifacts can include rumble from a furnace, trucks, planes, and stand vibrations from footsteps or foot-tapping on the sudio floor. Another common use is to compensate for proximity effect, which is when a vocalist might be a little too close to the mic, resulting in an unwanted boosting of the bass frequencies of the recorded voice. By engaging the roll-off switch, the voice reverts to a more "natural" sound."

-littledog

:mad: :mad: :mad: :D :mad: :mad: :mad:

Wait a second! How did you quote my answer to your question, when my answer isn't there? :confused:

Back