ORTF stereo mic technique on acoustic guitar, your kind thoughts please

ORTF is usually used for capturing the stereo spread of an ensemble (orchestra, band, quintet etc) rather than an individual instrument. Coincident or near-coincident mic techniques (XY, Mid/side, Blumlein) are generally preferred for stereo capture of a single instrument. Nothing is chiseled in stone however, so if you like the results you get using ORTF better, then go for it.

ORTF is usually used for capturing the stereo spread of an ensemble (orchestra, band, quintet etc) rather than an individual instrument. Coincident or near-coincident mic techniques (XY, Mid/side, Blumlein) are generally preferred for stereo capture of a single instrument. Nothing is chiseled in stone however, so if you like the results you get using ORTF better, then go for it.

Isn't that because ORTF is supposed to simulate the angles of the ears?

@adventureboy x/y is probably a better starting point for stereo guitar recording, but try it out. Also, when you try it, post some files so we can hear it.

Two SDCs spaced one behind the bridge and at the 12 fret are the best sound I have ever captured. 3 feet apart 2 feet out from the guitar. Alternatively, a single SDC depending on the guitar and aimed at the 12th fret does a really fine job as well.

I'm with the others--I tend to use a spaced pair of SDCs for acoustics.

The one exception can be when the performance is in a place with such great acoustics that the room is part of the performance. Some years back I recorded a really good classical guitarist in St. Albans cathedral. I covered my bases by recording two ways--my usual spaced pair plus an ORTF set up. The results were totally different--the spaced pair was as were all used to a very broad stereo image on the guitar itself but only limited "room".

The ORTF gave me darn near mono on the guitar itself but the most marvelous natural reverb from the church very accurately portrayed. It was an amazing, haunting sound. There was a lot of back and forth and mind changing but, in the end, the guitarist (the client) decided he preferred the ORTF.

However, unless you find yourself in a 1700 year old cathedral I'd stick to a spaced pair or X-Y technique.

Back