Original song "Marianas" - first complete mix.

Bubba po

Tiny Stonehenge Moment
Hi, everybody. If you've followed my earlier thread, you know what this is about. The tracking is complete, the songwriting is complete and I'm starting on the road of making the best mix I can. You can help!

Drums and flute: Frank "po"

Vocals: Manda "po"

"Discovery Channel" bit: Armistice

Piano and supporting keyboard parts: Adam Fiasco

Guitars, songwriting/arrangement and mixing: Bubba

Sounds pretty good. I like the ambiance on the drums. Guitars sound good. Armistice's voiceover is a big improvement on the earlier version.

Listening this morning, I do believe I've overcooked the reverb on the vocals. I'll attend to that tonight. :)

Its cool, mate. Armistice's accent adds a bit of gravitas. I'm just checking for scientific accuracy ;)

Its cool, mate. Armistice's accent adds a bit of gravitas. I'm just checking for scientific accuracy ;)

Ha! Thank you. :D

I A/B'd the Soundcloud mix with my master mix and Soundcloud has utterly minced it. The strings are really clear and present in the proper mix and on this you can barely hear them at all. I'll upload an MP3 version when I get home.

Its pretty close - you should probably describe the wood fragments as Marine Snow though, as this incorporates a much lager origin for the detritus that falls into the abyssal region.

Also, I think the Snailfish deserves a mention.

Its pretty close - you should probably describe the wood fragments as Marine Snow though, as this incorporates a much lager origin for the detritus that falls into the abyssal region.

Also, I think the Snailfish deserves a mention.

Why didn't my researches turn up such an awesome term as "Marine Snow"? :mad: The snailfish is cool!

My next song is going to be about Vesuvius. I'm hoping to incorporate pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis into the lyric.

Why didn't my researches turn up such an awesome term as "Marine Snow"? :mad: The snailfish is cool!

My next song is going to be about Vesuvius. I'm hoping to incorporate pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis into the lyric.

Excellent, that could be a whole line or even half a verse. People would think you're just scat singing - then you can make them away that you're actually talking about volcanism.

Weirdly, my first degree was in Oceanography and my MSc. was in geological hazards. So these tracks are right up my street! Marine Snow was quite a common term in my lectures about deep ocean. Another interesting one that applies to your crustaceans is "Abyssal Giantism" how cool is that?

Excellent, that could be a whole line or even half a verse. People would think you're just scat singing - then you can make them away that you're actually talking about volcanism.

Weirdly, my first degree was in Oceanography and my MSc. was in geological hazards. So these tracks are right up my street! Marine Snow was quite a common term in my lectures about deep ocean. Another interesting one that applies to your crustaceans is "Abyssal Giantism" how cool is that?

"Abyssal Giantism"? Now you're just trolling me. It reminds me of that Blackadder episode with Dr Johnson and his new "Dictionary" :D

I need another verse. :mad:

Cool!

I might bury the vocals a little. They feel a little too clear for something as ambient as this.

Also... isn't pseudo...volcaninosis... however you spell it. Isn't it a skin condition?

Cool!

I might bury the vocals a little. They feel a little too clear for something as ambient as this.

Also... isn't pseudo...volcaninosis... however you spell it. Isn't it a skin condition?

Done, Steve. That long word is an invented one to describe a lung disease caused by breathing in fine ash from Plinian-style volcanism. :D

Gravitarse is what I do best. :)

Agree on the reverb bubba, and maybe just nudge the "awesome" setting on my voice up a tick. :thumbs up::laughings:

The "awesome" setting is already on 11. :D

Grows on you, good tune.

Ta very much, mate. :)

I always think that benthic fauna is worth a mention too

"Benthic Fauna" was usually covered by the term "Benthos" when I was at Uni. It always made me think of Fray Bentos, the Corned Beef and meat pie magnets.

It's not hard to see why I'm a recurring fat fucker, is it?

The guitars and the bass sound excellent. Spoken vocal is very clear and sounds nice. You could probably turn it down a db or two.

Drums sound pretty good. I didn't care for the 80's style snare. The cymbals have a bit of a hyped high end. A little too sizzly for me.

There's really not much to dislike. Just a couple of drum things. I thought the rest sounded excellent.

The guitars and the bass sound excellent. Spoken vocal is very clear and sounds nice. You could probably turn it down a db or two.

Drums sound pretty good. I didn't care for the 80's style snare. The cymbals have a bit of a hyped high end. A little too sizzly for me.

There's really not much to dislike. Just a couple of drum things. I thought the rest sounded excellent.

Thanks, TripleM :) What exactly did you find 80s style about the snare? I added a little ambience and lifted the top end a bit, but other than that I'm a bit bemused. Do you mean 80s like Stewart Copeland, or 80s like Bonnie Tyler? When I think of 80s snares, I think massive, over-reverbed, white noise generated "Dooooossshhh" sounds. I'm certainly not hearing that! :D

Back