Original Song Called "Ordinary"

lga5824

It's Just My Opinion
Hello my critic friends. Here is my new original called "Ordinary". Please feel free to give it a listen and provide feedback as you deem necessary. Bare in mind that this is for demo and myspace posting only and I don't feel it necessary to make this commercial/radio ready (Why? Cuz I just don't). I do however, greatly appreciate feedback from the cool listeners of this site. So feel free!

Thanks,

Jen

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=16198

Great stuff!

Jen,
I like it! Really like it! Great song, and you got a great voice. The tune flowed quite well, I like the bridge/change, and the quality makes it an easy listen. :cool:

You'd have to be pretty picky to look for anything to tweak. Everything sits pretty well. I could perhaps do with a little less vocal reverb on the verses - if you got a set of pipes like that, there's no need to cover them up! The volume change going into the bridge is also a little dramatic, but perhaps that's what you were going for.

Having played drums for the last 23 years, I'd love to see a little more in the rhythm section. :p But that's just my personal thing... An absolutely great song, and great job recording it!

David

Hey Jen,

While this is so totally not my kind of thing, I was really impressed. Your voice sounds exceptional on this. The background vocals sound great. Did you do something different with them versus the lead vocal?...more vibrato?...I dunno, sounds slick.

I too found the volume increase to be too pronounced at the first big change (bridge?) and didn't care for the sound of the drums at that point, but liked the percussion during the mellower parts.

Really like the piano part behind the held notes like "your own" and "shiiiiine". :D

great job. I enjoyed listening. I'll agree about the way the song jumps into the chorus, I think there's a better way to transition. A 2 bar lift or build into the chorus rather than just slamming it out there. :)

Harmonies are great. And I like the lyrics.

Cheers,

Lovely song, Jen! :)
Your voice is absolutely beautiful.
I agree with the guys about the big jump to the chorus (bridge?), song seems to lose a little of its subtlety, especially since the voice seems to be sitting on top of everything. But that's just taste. Nonetheless, a good recording, the quality's pretty good and the song's great.

Joe :):)

Hey Guys - Thanks so much for all of your comments, suggestions and feedback. I'm seeing a common theme on the chorus entry being a little too dramatic. That's good to know so I can re-look at that. I actually did it a bit intentionally to be kind of a "surprise", but I may have gone overboard with it.

To answer heatmiser - I used tremolo on the back up vocals for the chorus to be kind of an ambient sound. I thought it was cool.

To answer kineticsound - I actually didn't use any more reverb on the verses than I did on the chorus for my lead vocals, but I did add a little bit of reverb on the back up vocals. I'll listen to that again.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to listen and provide feedback. Greatly appreciated!

Jen

Hey J!

Although I'm not near my critiqal listening gear, I'll be there in the morning (and this doesn't sound all that good through my laptop ... but nothing does).

From what I gather, you're not really interested in "sonic quality" comments as you admit that demo quality is all you were going for ... and that's perfectly fine.

What's left is general impression about performance and presentation. Is that the kind of feedback you seek? Also, is there anything specific you were concerned about? Just wondering if you had anything in mind ...

I'm happy to provide general comments ...

Best,

Kev-

Wow...

This is incredible stuff! You really have a wonderful voice. The overdubs are really tight and the lead Vox is really nice...not too much scat. What can I say...this is some of the nicest stuff I've heard, commercial or demo, in quite awhile. Well done!
Tim

Hey Kev - Any feedback is appreciated, general or specific. My goal in informing people up front that I'm not looking for the best commercial quality type stuff was intended to let others know that I probably won't take the time to completely overhaul the song, redo a bunch of tracks, start the mixing from scratch again, etc. But I'm absolutely open to tweaking things that seem to jump out to people as an overall problem and I do want to get a good overall general sound.

That being said, if something jumps out at you, please feel free to comment on. I just hope people aren't offended when they give me a large list of things they'd like to see changed and I don't take the time to do that.

I take everyone's suggestions seriously and appreciate the feedback. But I also know that every comment is an opinion, everyone has their own taste on things, and I know I'll never get to please everyone. So I take it all in and like with the trend I read about the chorus entry, that's something I might very well change altogether.

Does that explain it a little better? :D

Jen

Thanks Sailjunkie! Now THAT'S the type of feedback I could hear all day long (kidding). Seriously, thanks very much for the comments and feedback. I really do appreciate it.

Jen

Hello my critic friends. Here is my new original called "Ordinary". Please feel free to give it a listen and provide feedback as you deem necessary. Bare in mind that this is for demo and myspace posting only and I don't feel it necessary to make this commercial/radio ready (Why? Cuz I just don't). I do however, greatly appreciate feedback from the cool listeners of this site. So feel free!

Thanks,

Jen

Jen,
Outstanding performance on this tune! Inspiring to all us singers especially! The piano/bass and drums work well. The dynamics are cool in this song, how they ebb and flow. Excellent!

Oh yeah - this song is definitely not "Ordinary"...

:D:):D:)

I've got nothing specific to add to what others have said. Just wanted to chime in so you know folks are listening. Very nice work. I could listen to those harmonies all day long!

One thought on that transition to the chorus--you're holding out the word "shine" long enough to build under it without adding any measures--maybe just by walking up to the chorus with some tension notes in the bass. I dunno. Might work, might not.

But great stuff! :D

Pull back on the vocal compression a little bit, Jen ... your consonants are clicking (which makes the compression quite evident) ... and your long notes are made more harsh/nasal ... speaking of which ... some of the harsher upper range freq need to be pulled down and I'd dial in a little more cream to your vocal track (a little more low end -- you'll need to explore to find the right frequencies).

The levels overall are good, but when you bring on the "full arrangement" parts, there's sort of a jump out from behind a tree "GOTCHA" effect that makes the listener start ... it's too hard a contrast in levels from where the normal levels operate.

Other than that, the tracking/mixing levels are very good, and well w/in reason.

The tune is way better than average demo quality ... the arrangement is solid, and the performances spot on. (I'd bring the rhythm up a hair ... this was an edit after listening again)

Good start ... there's actually very little in the mix left to do.

Best,

Kev-

Last edited:
You mentioned in another thread...

that you are a vocal instructor. In the words of Captain Ron (don't ask), it shows! The single thing I absolutely HATE that many vocalists are guilty of these days is way too much modulation (Mariah or Whitney times 10). You really have a great feel for control in that respect. I'd love to hear more of your stuff...keep up the good work!

White Strat's suggestion about the trans from verse to chorus & maximizing that sustained note are spot on - milk it!
Nice song, terrific vocal perf.
The backing is much more assured than the 1st thing you posted. Real 'cello would add something special too.
Good dynamics.
This style isn't from my general listening pool but I enjoyed the quick dip.

Thanks guys for the additional comments and feedback. I have been out of town, so sorry I didn't post my gratitude earlier! All good suggestions and I appreciate your opinions greatly!

Jen

Here is my new original called "Ordinary". Please feel free to give it a listen and provide feedback as you deem necessary.

ok . . . here goes . . .

My assorted thoughts are:

There is an astonishing difference in the production values between this and earlier recent recordings. This is way better all round, and in particular, I think you really got the backing mix just right. I don't mind the sudden leap in intensity between verse and chorus. I do think, though, that the song calls for a more realistic percussion track. At the moment it has a mechanical feel to it. We don't always have access to drummers, and we do the best we can with what we have.

With a voice like yours, you have the advantage in that you make people want to listen to you. To that extent, it doesn't really matter what the backing is, because it is not the focus of attention. The harmonies complement your voice and the melody really well.

I'm pleased to see an absence of vocal popping, but the vocal track is not without its flaws. Every now and again there's something strange happening: check out, for example, the 'f' in 'find' at 1:23 and at 2:25, and the word 'ordinary' at around 2:53. This could be an artefact of compression, or possibly the result of editing to fix something.

While I liked your treatment of the backing vocals, I was less enamoured with the panning effect on them that takes place at 1:36 and elsewhere wherever the choruses appear. It sounds unnatural and is a bit gimmicky. The harmonies are good enough not to need tricks. Having said that, the echoing response effect ("you can shine", "don't let go" etc.) at 2:32 is effective, but could be made even more so by having these responses each occupy a different and definite part of the stereo landscape (rather than sweeping across generally).

I understand you've deliberately gone for the big gospel anthemic finish for the last minute, but for me, the song finishes at 3:26, and I would have been quite content for the song to have finished there on that gentle instrumental wind down. A shorter length would probably give it greater commercial accessibility.

"You can be more than ordinary" is a great hook, and lyrically I find this song more satisfying than the earlier one. However, everyone knows that, for example, things can be gone "in a blink of an eye", and I wonder whether there are other similes that you can conjure up in its place. My suggestion is in fact your hook, i.e. "you can be more than ordinary" . . . so if you heed your own very sound advice you might be able to apply this to the lyrics just to see what might emerge.

I can easily imagine hearing this song on the radio, or as the theme for a movie. That is both good and bad. A commercial environment is different to the MP3 clinic. Here I pay close attention. But on the radio, would it command the same attention from me, or would it slip by unremarked? Is there anything about it that makes it really command attention? I know that others here have commented favourably, and far be it from me to pretend to know better. But I have dwelt on this song at some length because there is, in my view, huge potential in that voice, and I (being a cranky old git) am not totally convinced that this the right vehicle. I am totally convinced, though, that somewhere inside you is the song that is really going to 'shine'.

Hi Jen,

Very nice performance overall, especially the vocals. The lead vocals are quite moving in spots, and the backing vocals are spot on.

Hard for me to critique the song itself, however, since it's not really a style that I can relate to. But I think it works very well as a vehicle for expressing the sentiments laid out in the lyrics.

I really enjoyed the listen. Thanks! :)

Chris

Back