"Ordinary" - an album worth posting about

Pinky

and The Brain...
As I eluded to in another thread, here's the official post regarding my recently released, self produced album "Ordinary" [under the band/project name of The Boogeymen].

3/of the last 4 of my albums have been concept based, but the genres of music used to tell the story vary greatly. I would classify this as alternative or progressive, although there's elements of folk, metal, and techno in here. I write with the music being the backbone, and vocals are merely added to deliver a message or add something nominal to the overall composition. Don't look here if you expect earth shattering vocals. :thumbs up:

Here's some links to enjoy for free, or kick a brother a few bucks if you decide to buy a digital download and/or CD. The album is on iTunes and Amazon, but it's cheaper to buy the download from Bandcamp (and also comes in superior FLAC format if you desire).

Bandcamp (free listen, digital download): https://theboogeymen.bandcamp.com/album/ordinary

Kunaki (CD): http://www.kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00ZLHX1M&pp=1

First review of the album on prog-sphere (hopefully more to come): The Boogeymen - Ordinary - Prog Sphere

I made some simple videos for two tracks, "Derp" being the funnier and more involved of the two:

Its hard to get past the vocals , or talking ? I am not trying to be a dick but I was loving the music but I couldn't keep listening , music and creativity like this shouldn't have a vocal that comes off as a second thought , you could do better .

Its hard to get past the vocals , or talking(?) ... music and creativity like this shouldn't have a vocal that comes off as a second thought...

I removed the dickish parts from your feedback for you ;).

Obviously an accomplished vocalist would improve things to some degree. I'll probably get better in time regardless. The reality is - it's impossible to find good vocalists to perform alt rock with zero chance at any mainstream success. I'm not doing this to sell records, it's for the few who don't find vocals always need to be the center of the composition. I listen to a lot of Rush, that's a love/hate thing (not that I can carry a tune nearly as well as Ged). It's all relative, there's stuff on the radio so badly autotuned it hurts my ears. But I can't reach them on a forum to tell them how much it sucks.

Promise has a friend singing fwiw. Too bad you couldn't make it to track 3. ;)

I think YOU could do better.

I probably can! :)

The next album is already in the planning stages, and I have a nicer Rode mic on the truck for delivery and intended to spend a little more time rehearsing and working out vocal parts. Again, back to things being relative, what I produce now is much more pleasing than what I've done in the past (I know you're thinking "yikes" ;) ). It's all progressing in the right direction. Not everyone dislikes the vocals, but it's no secret they're the weakest part of the songs. Hence my disclaimer in the first post.

I didn't have issues with the vocals. They were what they were. Only comment was, on the second vid, bass was pretty up there, but it sounded like what is currently being played, so while it is not my thing, sounded correct. It pulsed, it pushed my sub, but didn't have any harsh rumble.

It all seemed to have been mixed well.

So I managed to get one review at prog-sphere (along with two different plays to closeout the reviewer's podcasts) but my CDs sent to another prog review site might have landed in the discard bin. Not sure where else to submit for reviews at this point, since things are so friggin saturated. Even with a positive review on a relatively visited site I saw nominal increase in traffic. Oh well, it doesn't change how/why I write anyway.

If anyone knows of any review sites interested in prog/alternative independent stuff let me know.

It's really weird sounding bro, the song derp lol. No offense, but I think it's one of those songs that just isn't working. Maybe try speeding it up and making it more upbeat.

It's really weird sounding bro, the song derp lol. No offense, but I think it's one of those songs that just isn't working. Maybe try speeding it up and making it more upbeat.

The songs are completed, was looking for review site suggestions at this stage. But thanks for the input. (?)

Back