Ordering mics, using them for a week, then returning them.......

waverz

My band is broke as fuck and we are going on a 30 date tour in July. We are scheduled to record in a million dollar facillity in August but that will do us no good on the tour. I do have some experience in digital recording but i just don;t have the mics to do a full band. What i was thinking about doing is ordering some mics from musiciains friend, then returning them in a week or so. Anyone ever have any luck doing that...i know it seems kinda scandolous but if your broke, your broke.....

Here's a novel thought: get a job that pays money. :D

In your situation, I would highly recommend renting. Most pro audio rental shops/services will rent mics out extremely cheap -- and we're talkin' cheap as in 20 bucks or so per day, tops.

Don't rip off the retailers. That only makes it more expensive for the rest of us. And it's pretty dishonest and unethical.

Yeah, what Chess and Eddie said... ;)

Besides, a very many places consider sales on anything that comes close to the mouth as being final. I know, for example, that GC and Sam Ash do not take returns on mics. This is not only for hygenics, but to block deadbeats from doing just what you describe.

If you can't afford the rental or the purchase, borrow from a family member with a contract to pay them back from the proceeds you get from your 30-date gig.

G.

Oh yeah: rip off the people you'll depend on later on and then tell 'em, "tough." They'll understand, they're pros, right?

So cut your throat and that of everybody who walks into that dealer in the future. It's not your problem!

My poor old van died, and sat in a local car repair lot for a month while I hustled up the means to buy a replacement, after the owner of the shop had given me an estimate well over the value of my poor broken van.

Today a guy called me and said he wanted to buy the van, still on the shop's lot. I met him, he had cash, I signed over the title.

Then I went into the office and gave them 10% of what the guy paid."What's that for?" I replied, you stored the car for a month, the buyer found it there, this is your cut.

That's the principal you need to go by. The world is not a vast free apple orchard waiting to be plucked: it's a place where you interact with integrity.

Yep - so the basic message is; don't be a tosser. It's risky and wrong and frankly, for the price you can rent, totally unnecessary.

I would go as far as to say I hope you get caught if you do this, not because I have a problem with you, but because if I buy a brand-new mic from the shop, I don't want to be wondering whether it's already done two weeks' service in some kid's bedroom.

yep yep, keep the ethics, dude... if for no other reason, you don't feel like an arsehole by ripping people off. imagine a nice warm glow in the middle your stomach, rather than a dank, cold chill, as if the devil has just reached into your chest and is preparing to pluck out your heart and... you get the idea :D :p

Andy

p.s. - noisedude, i read the word 'tosser' and thought, yeah, he's from britain hehe. plus, the Noel Gallagher quote :D

chessrock said:
Here's a novel thought: get a job that pays money. :D

I agree. If you're broke, get off your ass and do something about it instead of scamming retailers. No one came and built my studio and equipped it for me, it took years of hard work. I imagine most of the others here came by theirs the same way.

i know lots of bands that suddenly deceided to record themselves,
all of them failed or got totally dissapointed cause it costs SO much money to gather all the gear, and when u finally got that, man, its hell to record even at a half-decent quality...
a few other bands i know searched real hard to find some young guys that just started recording stuff lately, they worked together, all for free,
the young guy was happy he could do his first band, and the band was happy cause it was all free and they knew they couldn't do it better, no matter how "low quality" the mixes were

i suggest looking around for those "young lads" :)

i used to be one of them,
now i charge for what i do, so hurry, they might start charging money too in 6 months from now ! ;)

In addition to what every-1 else has added, check out the "used-car" market
for gear such as e-bay and the like.

andydeedpoll said:
p.s. - noisedude, i read the word 'tosser' and thought, yeah, he's from britain hehe. plus, the Noel Gallagher quote :D
To be fair, you just wrote "arsehole" instead of "asshole", so your colours are nailed to the mast too!!! :D:D

Get this week's NME, there's tonnes of good Noel Gallagher quotes. Funniest interview I've read in ages. Although the one current in my sig line came from Mojo mag, where their American producer convinced Noel not to bother writing more than one or two verses because no-one cares about them ... :rolleyes:

Come up here

You might be able to find some local startup who wants to record your band for cheap...

If not, come up to northern Michigan and I'll do a weekend for a flat fee. That includes at least two five hour sessions and a mixdown.

Oh yeah, a decent producer too.

waverz said:
My band is broke as fuck and we are going on a 30 date tour in July. We are scheduled to record in a million dollar facillity in August but that will do us no good on the tour. I do have some experience in digital recording but i just don;t have the mics to do a full band. What i was thinking about doing is ordering some mics from musiciains friend, then returning them in a week or so. Anyone ever have any luck doing that...i know it seems kinda scandolous but if your broke, your broke.....

here...i gotcha covered:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_007_002_007_001&product_id=33-3021

I bought few mics from Musiciansfriend for my church and had a hardtime returning them, i ended up sending it to akg and they fixed the problem and sent it back. but this was 30 days after the purchase. so be careful how long you use it.

bennychico, I actually have that radioshack mic and we use it live on the kick drum to pretend we're micing it so the drummer thinks it's louder. I have tried, and if you were just doing acoustic and vocal... you could get a decent sound if you used EQ like it was your job.

Back