Orchestral sample library recommendation

Sunny

Hi there. I am on the market for an orchestral library to replace GPO. My criteria are:

- should work comfortably in a rock/ pop mix
- should sound good out of the box to minimize midi tweaking. I am a guitarist and my understanding of the nuances of strings is limited. Intelligent software would go a long way.
- ideally dry samples that I can add reverb to.
- budget would be approximatly $500

Any recommendations?

Have you tried East West Audio or Producer Loops.com the both of them have some very good samples!

I've got Miroslav Philharmonik. Only used it on one serious project so far, but I loved it. That project was not full orchestral work either--just orchestral embellishments to piano style ballads. A few solo strings patches, lots of strings sections, some oboe and some flute. I'm looking forward to doing some more serious scoring and digging deeper into the samples.

The instruments played well with my patches and are very authentic sounding. Like all midi driven music, the key is really in how much time and effort I was willing to spend humanizing the tracks. I was pleased with the results.

As far as interface goes--I find it really easy to work with, but then I've been using SampleTank for a couple years, and it's just the same. So for me, there was no learning curve. Can't really speak to how it compares to others.

My $.02.

I am planning to download the demo version of Miroslav tonight for a test run. Key for me will be the pain in the a%^ factor that comes with detailed midi programming and nuance. By all accounts it is a beautiful sounding library.

Sunny, if you're still making your mind up, go the Miroslav philharmonic route. You shouldn't regret it.

Back