Orange amps for recording

dainbramage

I'm considering picking up an Orange dual terror and a 1x12 cab for recording. I'm looking for a compromise between that dirty Black Keys like their album "The Big Comeup" (they used an old Ampeg Gemini amp there) and general stonerblues rock sound. Any experience with Orange? I used to have a Marshall amp but they sound to clean and tidy for my music. Also have experience with a Peavey 5150 but they're too metal-sounding for me.

Save up. Sell some other stuff.

Hmm I just found a new Orange Rockerverb 50W Combo (RK50C 112) for 3/4 price due to the newer MKII. The difference is supposedly only an extra middlecontrol for the clean tone, another reverb-configuration and something about the tubes... Would have to literally live on bread and water.. Oh my.

So I just found this comparison on youtube:

Call me crazy but I think I actually prefer the Tiny Terror as it sounds dirtyer and less Marshallish. But I guess I should check them out in real life.

Edit: When I say dirty, I don't mean more gain (the 'verb obviously has a lot more) but I guess raunchier. Can't really find the right word to describe it. Fizzy?

Last edited:
I have a Tiny Terror. To my ears it pretty much has that typical Orange sound ..... mid-heavy and quick to break up.
I gig with it sometimes but it doesn't do clean as well as other amps for me since I want my cleans to be sparkly pristine cleans and it won't really do that so it might be right up your alley.
It really changes it's sound thru different drivers so what speaker you choose to use one with is gonna make a big difference with that amp.

I have a Tiny Terror. To my ears it pretty much has that typical Orange sound ..... mid-heavy and quick to break up.
I gig with it sometimes but it doesn't do clean as well as other amps for me since I want my cleans to be sparkly pristine cleans and it won't really do that so it might be right up your alley.
It really changes it's sound thru different drivers so what speaker you choose to use one with is gonna make a big difference with that amp.

Great. Thanks lieutenant. I will arrange a test drive shortly if I can find a physical space containing one.

if you weren't so far away I'd sell you mine. I'm having an amp house cleaning. But I ain't shipping to Norway!

well, I would ship to Norway but you'd have to pay for it.
I can't help but think you can find one closer to home and avoid that cost.

I think that would be pretty expensive, and I would probably have to pay 25% tax to get it across the border.

If you click the link in my sig, you could listen to my bands EP, all the guitar work is through an orange ?DH30? Not sure on the exact amp but think it's that one. Tell me what you think of that tone!

Back