Optomizing Windows 8 for recording; what's the procedure?

foxwaves

Hello Friends! (Ouch...I meant "optimize"!)

I'm a newbie setting up a little home studio, and just ordered a Dell Inspiron (Amazon.com: Dell Inspiron 660s i660s-3850BK Desktop (Black): Computers & Accessories) 3.3ghz processor, 6 gb ram and 1tb, 7200 rpm hard drive loaded with Windows 8. I've never set a computer up for recording and was hoping someone here might be kind enough to provide me with instructions, or tell me where to find them. Any opinions on my choice of computers are also welcome. I'm not all that savvy so I did a little research and took a shot.

I guess I'm going through my second (or maybe third!) childhood and so treated myself to what I hope will be a fine computer for recording. I plan on using Reaper, by the way. Thanks in advance, for any help!

The big questions is will this be a dedicated recording box, or will you be using it for other stuff too (specifically browsing the web)?

Most of optimization just consists of disabling features you don't need. If it's a general-use PC that's going to consist mostly of uninstalling all of the trial and OEM software that came with the PC (office, any toolbars, etc.)
For a dedicated PC, that's going to mean disabling everything that isn't involved in your recording process (uninstall the bloatware, especially A/V, disable all network adapters, go through the services list and just start shutting down anything that doesn't make it faster.)

(Caveat, this is just general knowledge, I haven't tried Win 8 yet.)

In this day and age just use it and see what happens. You shouldn't need to optimise anything.

Of course it's sensible not to have loads of things going on in the background and if there's no need for internet, kill it.
If that's the case, kill antivirus software too, but other than that just crack on. :)

You should really only need to look into optimising if you're pushing that machine to the limits.

The big questions is will this be a dedicated recording box, or will you be using it for other stuff too (specifically browsing the web)?

Most of optimization just consists of disabling features you don't need. If it's a general-use PC that's going to consist mostly of uninstalling all of the trial and OEM software that came with the PC (office, any toolbars, etc.)
For a dedicated PC, that's going to mean disabling everything that isn't involved in your recording process (uninstall the bloatware, especially A/V, disable all network adapters, go through the services list and just start shutting down anything that doesn't make it faster.)

(Caveat, this is just general knowledge, I haven't tried Win 8 yet.)

Thanks, VomitHatSteve. That makes sense. I assumed I'd get rid of the extra baggage, but didn't know if there were more advanced tweaks that needed to be made. I plan this for this pc to be for recording only, and to hook it up to the Internet only long enough to download Reaper and maybe an occasional plug-in or update.

Thanks again!

In this day and age just use it and see what happens. You shouldn't need to optimise anything.

Of course it's sensible not to have loads of things going on in the background and if there's no need for internet, kill it.
If that's the case, kill antivirus software too, but other than that just crack on. :)

You should really only need to look into optimising if you're pushing that machine to the limits.

Thanks, Steenamaroo. I doubt I'll ever load the system to heavy. It'll almost always be only recording one track at a time. I appreciate your time; have a good day!

Back