Options for vocal mic ?

andre1977

Hi all, I'm new to this forum.

I'm not sure if this has been adressed before but here i goes...

My setup consists on a Rode NT1 and an Aphex 107 mic pre. I use the Rode for vocals only. I'm thinking on going a step further and replace the Rode and eventually the Aphex 107. I want to get a better setup to get cleaner and warmer vocals. My voice is kind of closed and with the setup I have I'm not getting the results I want, my voice sounds.. well, strange.

I'm attracted by the Studio Projects mics because of the price (havent confirm if they sound good or not since there's no dealer on the country a live,hmmm, perhaps I can be the dealer lol)... anyway I was thinking on the C3 (tough I'm not sure if I'll need multi-pattern) or the TB-1, since it's a tube mic (which I haven't heard much about it). The T3 is a bit out of my league. Another possibility I'm thinking is to get the Rode NTK 2nd hand.

Comments ? Suggestions ?

André

andre1977 said:
Hi all, I'm new to this forum.

I'm not sure if this has been adressed before but here i goes...

My setup consists on a Rode NT1 and an Aphex 107 mic pre. I use the Rode for vocals only. I'm thinking on going a step further and replace the Rode and eventually the Aphex 107. I want to get a better setup to get cleaner and warmer vocals. My voice is kind of closed and with the setup I have I'm not getting the results I want, my voice sounds.. well, strange.

I'm attracted by the Studio Projects mics because of the price (havent confirm if they sound good or not since there's no dealer on the country a live,hmmm, perhaps I can be the dealer lol)... anyway I was thinking on the C3 (tough I'm not sure if I'll need multi-pattern) or the TB-1, since it's a tube mic (which I haven't heard much about it). The T3 is a bit out of my league. Another possibility I'm thinking is to get the Rode NTK 2nd hand.

Comments ? Suggestions ?

André

Here's my comment and suggestion. You know, there just is no way of telling which mic your going to like best until you give them all a try. If you can't try a mic before you buy it, your just gambling with your money. I'd buy something you know you like because you have heard it.

maybe someone would tell you some good places to audition microphones in your area, except you forgot to fill in your location on your profile.

ops, I have to correct that.

I live in Portugal, near Lisbon.

The problem is that the music stores I know don't sell such brands and even if they did if I asked them to try it they would just come up with some excuse not to do it. The Rode and the Aphex I got them outside of Portugal.

I know this sounds strange but it's the way things work up here. :-(

That's why I was asking for advise.

André

ops, I have to correct that on my profile.

I live in Lisbon, Portugal. I know I should try to listen my voice thru different mics but the problem is the music stores I know don't sell such brands and even if they did, they would come up with an excuse not to try it. I've got the Rode and the Aphex outside Portugal.

I know this sounds strange but it's the way things work up here. :-(

André

Bummer. In that case, you may just have to gamble some and buy a few mic's in the dark and then return the ones you don't like. No one can really tell you which one to get, because there is no way of them (or I) knowing which mic you'd like best.

Buy a few used mikes of Ebay. You'll get a better mike for the money, and you can almost certainly sell it again for more or less the same amount. At least if you have the time to lurk around for a while to learn how much the stuff usually sells for. There is quite a lot of pro-audio stuff floating around, especially in Germany.
(There is an MD441 for 100 EUR and a KM84 for 300 EUR on ebay right now, they will certainly sell for a bit more, but perhaps still within your reach, since the sellers will not ship outside of Europe...)

Studio Projects- I own C-3 and B-1, and for my voice, C-3 is a good mic. The price of a SP mic in Europe, though changing for the better, gets you into the area to consider AKG C4000 or Solidtube. My choice would be Rode NTK. Well priced in Europe, relatively, it's a good vocal mic on a lot of people. Next, add a good dynamic, such as a Sennheiser 441. I still will say, though, I like C-3 a lot, for multiple applications, and B-1 is the best all-around condenser under $100 I've heard.-Richie

Back