"Optimization"

aberdeen27

I have purchased a Roland VS-880, and down the road I plan to purchase a computer with a CD-R drive so I can transfer material from the VS-880 to CD.

Do I necessarily need to go through the computer to record onto the CD-R (not that I don't want to) ?

What are some optimal requirements for the CD-R so I get good results when doing the above-described transfers?

aberdeen27
brukh3@superlink.net

First off, the Roland's come with the SCSI interface to go direct to the CD burner so I would (first) look into using that method as opposed to transferring to a computer before the burn. Why deal with one additional interface?

I use a Roland 16 track (VS-1680) with the burner and like the results. The only pain is the necessity to mix down to 2 tracks before transfer to CD. To overcome that requirement (or if I'm simply in a hurry), I also purchased a CD recorder that will allow me to take the analog outs (R&L) from either the main or monitor and burn to a CD direct from the audio outs. There are a few different models on the market and they are all getting cheaper by the minute. It is also faster (real time) and one can discern only a minimal difference in the final sound.

The only need I would see for going to a computer and burning from there would be the need to USE the computer for either mixing or mastering... both of which can be done on the Roland machines. (Unless of course, you need a computer anyway... but if you did: how would you be posting these questions on this web site?)

I have the computer and can interface the platforms but I personally find it easier to just crank the CD's directly from the Roland.

Good luck... and keep at it!

Cordially,
The guitar half of "RockNGunz"

So theoretically I can take the, say, internal CD-R out of my computer and interface it directly with the VS-880?

I'm more interested, however, in what kind of CD-R and what kind of features on a CD-R would be good for audio (mastering)... i.e. make, speed, special features, anything.

Thanks,

aberdeen27
brukh3@superlink.net

Back