Optimization Tips for PC

Great link indeed. Especially the second one. ;) Thank you.

I'm sure you already know about ProRec, don't you?

Hmmmmm....

Well I skimmed through the post and I agree with about 90% of it. I think it would be an excellant item to post in the Newbie page, it answers a lot of questions quite well.

I'm not sure I agree with all the suggestions though. Turning off drive cacheing for one seems like it could be a bigger problem than solution. And I dont see how turning down your video cards 3D acceleration is going to do anything. But I don't think it would hurt to try these things out.

aparently the thinking behind taking down the graphics acceleration is that it releases more system bandwidth across your mobo... I suspect it is only for pretty slower systems though and I left mine at max...

Reducing the 3D might do something on systems using Intel video chipsets, or other cheap-ass video setups where the video system shares RAM with the CPU. Any decent 3D video card today is going to have its own on-board processor and RAM, so I'm not sure turning down 3D would do anything. I wouldn't swear to it, but I don't see how it would help.

Back