Optimal config for 12 sheets of fiberglass in this room?

daveyhavok

So i just ordered 12 sheets of rigid fiberglass (JM-817 2") (that's really all i could afford for now, i'm a poor student, i might buy some more eventually)

What do you think about this layout for my room? is there a better way to do it? i read Ethan's article, but since i dont have the money to do all that's recommended i'm wondering if this is the best way to use the 12 sheets....

We're going to record one instrument at a time and the style of music is Punk/ Hard rock

Thanks

panels1.jpg

panels2.jpg

One instrument at a time? Skip the gobo approach & hang 'em in the corners, and whatever is left, hang on the walls, with at least two symmetrical around the sides of your mix position. Above too :)

ok i thought i didn't have enough fiberglass to spread it all over the room.... i'll post another pic to see if i get your idea correctly

daveyhavok said:
ok so something like this?
How exactly do you intend to use the room, Davey? I mean, are you mixing in there, too?

Also, what are you using to make those boss drawings, and where can I get it?

I'll be mixing in another room, i'll probably move some of the panels into this other room afterwards but for now i'm concentrating on the recording part...

The ceiling is about 7' high and the panels would be 5' high

The drawings were made with Solidworks, it's on my brother's computer (he's an industrial designer and that's what he uses). Really useful software..

daveyhavok said:
I'll be mixing in another room, i'll probably move some of the panels into this other room afterwards but for now i'm concentrating on the recording part...
You need to need to wait to hear from some people who are more experienced with this than I am, but I'll bet the advice you'll get is to start by putting 4" thick panels from floor to ceiling in all four corners. That's going to eat up a bunch of your fiberglass (sorry, dude), but it will also probably give you the best initial results for your money.

The ceiling is about 7' high and the panels would be 5' high
You said you're using JM 817, right? Me, too, and mine came in sheets 4' long. Are your panels 5' because you're cutting and pasting sheets together?

Really useful software..
I'll say. Expensive, too, no doubt. (Pardon my drooling and covetous glances.)

Are your panels 5' because you're cutting and pasting sheets together?

yes

ok so i'll either just put panels in the corners from floor to ceiling (2" cause 4" i wouldn't have enough sheets just to do that)

and then i should have around 4 sheets left so i could put 2 on the ceiling and 2 somewhere else on a wall

or i also thought about this layout, where I would be using some wood panels to create a kind of room inside of a room, not sure how efficient that would be

panels4.jpg

panels5.jpg

I think your second layout was the best.

The main problem with your room, and someone please correct me if i'm wrong, is parallel surfaces. Hence why somebody suggested to put them on the walls. Next would be the corners, but again, you can solve that with your second option. I wouldn't worry so much about above the drums, or whatever instrument will be there. I'm pretty sure the walls and corners are far more important, especially if you plan on using directional mics as overheads pointed down at the kit and have a carpet floor.

I'm not an expert though, so check out this info...

http://www.johnlsayers.com/HR/index1.htm

and do some reading, or rather....an ass ton of reading. I spent close to a year reading the forums on john's site before even thinking about treating my space.

A litle research will help you tons, Ethans info was a great read eh?

anyway, good luck man

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

ok thanks to everyone for your advice

i'll probably use the rigid fiberglass for the corners and use some thick panels of fluffy fg on the walls...

but now i know that i can't treat just a section of the room, i'll need to treat the whole room...

Back