Optical in/out built into mobo's like Abit IC7-G Max2?

Voxpopuli

As some of you may know Im currently in the process of building a new computer (DAW). It is going to be exclusively used for music production (multi-tracking, editing, etc.).

Im new to all the newer features of todays motherboards, and one that has really caught my attention is the Abit IC7-G Max2 with its Optical in/out. This is the first time I have ever seen this implemented into a mobo. I am not familiar with Optical in/out devices, but Ive seen several items geared towards recording musicians offer this feature. As a matter of fact, I have an Akai DPS12 (portable12-track studio) that has the Optical in/out feature..Ive never used the optical in/out nor am I familiar with it. Anyone here familiar with the DPS12, or similar device .

Im am really curious about the optical in/out feature of the Abit IC7-G Max2. Anyone know how this came about, and what, or who it is geared towards?

Most important would I be able to use the inputs/outputs of my Delta 1010 simultaneously with the Optical input/output of the Abit IC7-G Max2 via some kind of outboard convertor?

Any info, or thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

another one

Hmmm.. Wonder If I could run audio into the analog inputs on my DPS12 thru to the optical output, and then into the optical input of the Abit IC7-G Max2? Any thoughts?

I too have been intriqued by motherboards that provide S/PDIF both in and out. From what I have read this functionality is intended to support home theatre, but S/PDIF I/O is, after all, S/PDIF I/O.

Would love to hear from someone who is actually doing it.

Back