Optical/Coaxial converter with AP2496

mbuster

I've got a Boss BR-8 that I use sometimes for a way to record guitars direct . The BR-8 has an Optical digital out, which I've connected to a converter box to allow me to hook into the SPDIF input of my Audiophile 2496. I can't get any audio into the PC this way. I know the optical out works, because I get audio if I hook it straight into a receiver. I guess what I'm asking is if there is some reason the AP 2496 doesn't like the converted signal. The control panel says invalid or non-present signal. This is a bummer because I wanted to use the analog ins with something else.

Do you have the "external clock" option checked in the AP control panel? (I don't have the manual in front of me, so I can't tell you exactly where to look.)

I'm on a different computer right now, but If I recall, the external clock options are greyed out until a valid signal is detected.

Maybe so. I forget.

(Grasping at straws now...) What's the convertor box you're using? Are you sure your RCA cable is good? Are you sure it's plugged into the correct connector on the Audiophile?

Well the converter is a little radio shack job. This is the first time I've used it. I'll double check the coax. I have another one I know is good. Thanks for the ideas.

Under Hardware settings in the MAudio Control Panel, you need to select S/PDIF In. It should not be greyed out at all. It would just say unlocked if it wasn't detecting a stream when you selected it. If there is a valid S/PDIF stream coming in the AP, it will switch to locked. Also be sure to set the S/PDIF sample rate for the incoming stream. And Finally, make sure that your volumes are up for H/W S/PDIF in and they are unmuted in the monitor mixer.

Good Luck
ls

BTW... if your run is long, you might want to consider using 75ohm digital cable instead of coaxial cable as you might experience some jitter problems... I know I have before. But if the run is short, coaxial should be fine.

lost studios said:
Under Hardware settings in the MAudio Control Panel, you need to select S/PDIF In. It should not be greyed out at all. It would just say unlocked if it wasn't detecting a stream when you selected it. If there is a valid S/PDIF stream coming in the AP, it will switch to locked. Also be sure to set the S/PDIF sample rate for the incoming stream. And Finally, make sure that your volumes are up for H/W S/PDIF in and they are unmuted in the monitor mixer.

Good Luck
ls

BTW... if your run is long, you might want to consider using 75ohm digital cable instead of coaxial cable as you might experience some jitter problems... I know I have before. But if the run is short, coaxial should be fine.

It was the hardware settings, thanks.
BTW, 75ohm "digital" cable IS coax. We were using 75 ohm coax for video long before the marketing geniuses decided to throw some fancy gold connectors on the ends and sell it for $40 per 3ft as "digital" cables.

Back