Opinions, please: how much would you buy a PR99 for?

Audiophallic

Is $500.00 too much? As long as it's in good shape, heads in fine condition, etc. I found a Mk.II model in Boulder (about two hours away from me) that the guy will sell for that price, but then also, a guy in Colorado Springs (45 minutes away) is selling a PR99 Mk.I on ebay, and the bidding is only at $300.00 or so right now. I will of course be verifying condition personally, so what other deciding factors should I consider?

Now, perhaps the best option would be to save and bide my time, but I'm not sure I have the willpower for that. There's not really much else in the area. I've been unlucky since moving to Colorado, in that all the great deals on craigslist were when I was flat broke. I missed out on a Tascam 388 ($350.00), a Nagra IV-S ($350.00), and recently an Otari MX5050-VIII ($300.00) and a TSR-8 ($300.00). Now, a deal has come along, and for once I have spare cash! Oh, and a Teac 3340 for $70.00. That's the one I'm most pissed off about.

So, Mk.II for $500, Mk.I for slightly less (assuming I don't get outbid), or just wait for something else?

Ah, all good questions as I can directly relate, having a MKII version of this machine. I paid about that much local and consider it a very fair price for a machine of this quality plus the heads looked almost new. Yes, I feel $500 for an PR-99 MK-II, local pickup is a reasonable sum but only if the heads are in good condition 'cause they cost more than the machine to replace, in contrast to the much cheaper ones present in many half track Tascam / TEAC recorders. BTW, we're talking about PR-99 half track (not 4 track), correct? There's also different speeds so make sure it's the High Speed version (7 1/2 & 15ips). So, if your machine's seen minimal use, is clean and all's good, 500 is fine. It sounds great, has premium components, is easy to work on, service and tweak and, while parts are plentiful, they are usually more expensive but, those things don't break down easily, unless abused or in rough, worn out shape. Make sure this one isn't. While I usually say get the machine which is in the best condition, if both (MK-I & M-II) are in similar shape, I'd take the MK-II just because it is an upgraded model in several ways. However, condition is more important than the model number. BTW, the one thing which kinda bothers me is that $500 goes a long way in the TEAC / TASCAM world so.... too bad the other deals fell through. :( But if you're dead set on getting a half track then the Revox is cool but more costly and may need some time getting used to including interfacing with other gear, especially if you're used to a TASCAM brand. Would I suggest waiting, putting those $$ aside for now? Good question but it's the one you need to answer yourself.

Thanks for replying. Both models specify 2-track (I hope they mean 1/2-track?), and the Mk.II is specified 15&7.5 IPS. Unfortunately the pictures are few and somewhat less than informative, otherwise I might be able to glean more info. I didn't even know the PR99 came in a 4-track variant. Wouldn't that make it a bit more consumer-grade, like the B77?

Yeah, I'd be happy with a Tascam 32 or something similar, but I've yet to see one in my area. In fact, these two PR99's are the first two reel to reels that I've come across that are 2-track mastering decks, so I don't know exactly when I'd get a chance to pick up another (and Revox stuff in general is rare and expensive). Occasionally someone is getting rid of a multitrack recorder, but most of the stuff is baseline consumer products for $150-200, or 4-track cassette portastudios for not much less. Boy would I love to score an awesome Sweetbeats deal sometime.... :D At least a PR99 is a piece of equipment that I don't see myself outgrowing for a long while.

As for what I'm used to, yeah I have a Teac A-2340RS but that's more for playback of commercial tapes, and I have yet to figure out what exactly to do about my still-not-working-yet 3340. :spank: The PR99 will be my first piece of real recording gear, so I can (hopefully) build my setup around it, once I acquire more stuff. Next buy: microphones! And maybe some XLR cables...

Back