Opinions on Metal/Sludge mix

Camazza

Hi guys, I'm recording for a local band in my modest studio (halfway between a home recording studio and a proper studio). I used Studio One Professional and a basic set of mics, notably the SM57, D112, C1000S, Rode NT2A, EV ND468. For mixing I used my beloved Waves plugins: SSLComp, C1 Gate/Comp, L1 Limiter, L3 Multiband Limiter, H-EQ, API 2500 Comp, Vitamin

Have a listen! It's work in progress but mostly done.

[MP3]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/9d6d0uber9qeyyk/Polmuse.mp3?dl=1&token_hash=AAGw5QGP0LrLpqcvY1Pa-KxNANhh-4t4E5WtydbueuxgUQ[/MP3]

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's just me, but the link isn't working for me. I hit the play button and nothing happens.

Yeah it's working now. I thought things sounded decent. I liked the low end of the mix.

I thought the guitars dominated the drums too much.

The guitar on the right side had a little too much gain for me. It was a little bit fizzy.

Vocals sounded pretty good for the genre - as far as I can tell, but I'm no expert there.

THanks for the feedback. I turned up the guitars a bit in the last export, and I was wondering if that was a good choice. It was not. Unfortunately there's little I can do gain-wise. I can back off the limiter a bit I guess, but there is nothing else adding gain to the guitars, except a Kramer Tape maybe, but it's turned way down (I used it mainly to color and darken the guitar sound a bit, as they were coming out of a Kemper Profiler which, as much as technology has progressed, still does not compare to a real, miked cab).

Back